Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Planche Help (So Close!)

x529

Hey guys! I have been training hard on the planche/planche pushups and I have been getting extremely close but there has been one huge set back. I notice when everyone does their planche their legs are higher than their butt - their body almost looks like a bow (in a way). When I do my planche, however for some reason my body is bent inward where my butt is way higher than my legs. Its very frustrating because no matter what I do my butt is higher than my legs. According to a gymnastics coach that I'm friends with, he says that if I lower my butt (therefore making my legs higher and giving it the bow shape) I should get the planche in no time. Any suggestions? I attached a picture of where I am right now

I can't do a planche but I assume that it's a lack of proper body tension/strength. When you pike at the hips (which is essentially what you describe) I think you lack tension in the glutes/core. But I will let more knowledgeable members answer this :D

haha thanks! I think your right though because I have been thinking the same exact thing because I work out every part of my body except my lower back so now its comming back to haunt me :x

I'm going out on a limb here but would working chest roll to hs help? It would take you through the same body shape you are describing dynamically.

Anyway the picture looks great, keep at it!

What you are experiencing is most likely because a lack of shoulder strength so you cannot lean forward enough to keep a straight body. Most people think it's just about squeezing their butt when in reality they need to lean forward more and THEN squeeze their butt and legs will follow. Post a video it makes correction 10x easier!

sounds good that makes sense - ill post a video as soon as I can get hold of a camera. Would you suggest working on strait arms rather than bent arms?

If you want to have a true planche, "true" meaning, how the position is defined in gymnastics, then you need to train with your arms straight. A planche done with straight arms is much much more difficult than with bent arms, and as such if you set that as a goal and achieve it you will have developed much more strength over the course of that time than if you had been training with your arms bent.

Not to sound mean, but I noticed right away that youre arms arent straight. and to me that means youre not close to a planche, if you can hold that position with straight arms then yeah youre close. But I suggest you find out what progression you are capable of with straight arms and work from there. Having bent arms isnt a real planche.

There's just some terminology issues with people on the internet.. go on youtube and you'll find out that most people like to call a 90 degree bent arm arched back elbow lever-ish bent arm planche for a "full planche!!!!"

yea I definitely get what your saying. My ultimate goal is to have full planche pushups which is why I have been training them bent armed. Do you think my straitening my arms it will make planche pushups easier?

Well first lets get the terminology straight. Full planche pushups go into a straight arm planche (99% of youtube 'planche pushups' are really what's referred to as pseudo planche pushups or PPP). PPP go from a bent arm planche and push up but don't finish in the straight arm planche. If you want to learn full planche pushups I would focus on first learning the full planche and then as part of that you can work in some planche pushups with a pause in the straight arm planche.

yea I definitely get what your saying. My ultimate goal is to have full planche pushups which is why I have been training them bent armed. Do you think my straitening my arms it will make planche pushups easier?

Test youreself and see how long you can hold that with a straight arm and tell us or take a picture. That might give you and us an idea of where you really are.

I'd be careful if you've never performed straight arm work before. Chances are trying a straight arm planche will get you injured. Be warned!

I find the strait arm isn't harder or easier, just different. I notice I have a lot more work to do in terms of straitening my body. Would you suggest using a weighted vest while doing body weight exercises?

I find the strait arm isn't harder or easier, just different. I notice I have a lot more work to do in terms of straitening my body. Would you suggest using a weighted vest while doing body weight exercises?

yeah its different, which also makes it harder. No I wouldnt suggest you doing that. Because you havent developed a real planche, and were not sure what actual stage of the planche youre at so we can give you good advice. Can you show us how long you can hold a straight arm good straddle. Once you can do a real planche and hold it for like 5 secs , then yeah you should start adding weight. But I dont think youre strong enough for that yet.

I'm new to planches myself and your form looks superior to mine. I bend mine arms still as well. I think its just a steady progression but keep up the good work.

It's really not a steady progression :? You're training a different position, which works some of the same muscle-groups, and some different ones, in different ways. If you train with bent arms you are never going to get to a point where you just seamlessly progress on to straight arms. At some point, if you want an actual planche, you are going to have to lock out your elbows which will probably set you back to a tuck or advanced tuck planche even if you've developed a full planche with bent arms.