Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pressing into handstand

Kiyoshi

Can you go over the proper technique for pressing into handstand from frogstand and straddle L? It seems hard to do it, I would like to be able to press into handstand. If it is a strength issue,

What are some exercises that will supplement pressing into a handstand from a frogstand or straddle L? Proper progressions or Exercises that will give me the foundation to do it.

Kiyoshi,

I am working on the press handstand from the frogstand as well. At first, I was just working holds in the frogstand, but now I have been working on pressing to a headstand from the frogstand...which feels pretty productive. I hope this along with working my freestanding HS will get me there. Let me know if you find anything else effective to work on this. My HS is solid, but it still feels too hard to press to a handstand for me though.

Hunter

Joshua Naterman

Just a few days ago we had a press HS WOD. Go read it to learn more about the exercises.

Kiyoshi,

I am working on the press handstand from the frogstand as well. At first, I was just working holds in the frogstand, but now I have been working on pressing to a headstand from the frogstand...which feels pretty productive. I hope this along with working my freestanding HS will get me there. Let me know if you find anything else effective to work on this. My HS is solid, but it still feels too hard to press to a handstand for me though.

Hunter

I see so you just go to frogstand and try pressing to a headstand from it and that will give you the strength to get better, I think that maybe just doing alot of handstand pushups will develop the strength. I'm not sure though if its the same strength or not used for pressing out of frogstand into handstand.

If you can do solid HSPUs, I would definitely use those in building your strength to do the press handstand. The press to headstand from frogstand is only a suggestion that might - keyword: might - help you get there. I will let you know how my progress goes with it. I feel I am very close to a handstand press from frogstand, and that is due to pressing to headstand from the same position and just working freestanding HSs and handstand walking.

• 1 month later...
Jonathan Nasman

Definitely start out just trying to press from frogstand to headstand. That helped me progress to doing a tuck planche press to handstand. Also, doing pushups against the wall on paralettes will help a lot.