Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Training like a bodybuilder with gymnastic exercises

Deft-Mastery

What if, there's an exercise that you can do for 25-30 reps, is this still acceptable to do GVT with?

Oh yeah and, tomorrow I will make the video about the ring curls that I told you about, I'm close to my 100% right from the illness I had this week and it is time to start working out, finally!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deft-Mastery

• Joshua Naterman

• Alexander Moreen

• Rafael David

Ok I just uploaded the ring curls videos, I did 2 and we'll see if they're any good:

This is the first one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMwTmko5KMs

And this is the second one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi0h7f0uYjE

So those are the videos. That's the way I was telling you that I was trying the ring curls. So what do you think? You think you still work the biceps that way? I think I could have done them a little better though, the technique.

Oh yeah and there was something else: I just found out that it turns out that they actually do sell dip belts around here, so tomorrow I will probably buy one, so I wanted to ask you:

Should I start right now adding weight to the chins and dips, or should I still go with bodyweight for a little while and then add weight?

Joshua Naterman

Pretty good form with the curls! One suggestion that I would make is doing them with straight legs and adjusting the height of the rings slightly to accommodate the increased difficulty. That's not required, but it will make it much easier for you to gauge your progress since you can't assist with the legs at all. As for the two techniques you are trying, I don't know about the second one because you won't be building the wrist strength that you really need for harder gymnastic stuff. But, if you feel like that is best for you right now, go for it!

As for adding weight to the pull ups/chins/dips, that really depends. During WODs, if you can easily keep the prescribed tempo with BW for required reps then yes, I would absolutely add weight. Go up slowly, 5 lbs at a time or less. You can always add a few more lbs in the next workout if that is too easy, but you should never be at your limit. The same rule really applies to any specific pull up work you do as well. I would NEVER add weight to clapping pull ups though, at least not with a belt. You want to encourage maximum speed, and that usually means no weight.

Pretty good form with the curls! One suggestion that I would make is doing them with straight legs and adjusting the height of the rings slightly to accommodate the increased difficulty. That's not required, but it will make it much easier for you to gauge your progress since you can't assist with the legs at all. As for the two techniques you are trying, I don't know about the second one because you won't be building the wrist strength that you really need for harder gymnastic stuff. But, if you feel like that is best for you right now, go for it!

You mean with the legs completely straight, like in a row? I'd have to lower the rings for that, hadn't thought about that one. I did them like I did them because that's how you did them in the video, rings at chest height.

Both videos are with the same grip, they're just different angles.

Well, I'd just do that for this exercise, because I haven't gotten the fuzzy gloves yet and if I do it like you do it really messes up my hand. But anyways, do you think it still hits the biceps hard enough doing them this way? Did you look closely how the grip is?

As for adding weight to the pull ups/chins/dips, that really depends. During WODs, if you can easily keep the prescribed tempo with BW for required reps then yes, I would absolutely add weight. Go up slowly, 5 lbs at a time or less. You can always add a few more lbs in the next workout if that is too easy, but you should never be at your limit. The same rule really applies to any specific pull up work you do as well. I would NEVER add weight to clapping pull ups though, at least not with a belt. You want to encourage maximum speed, and that usually means no weight.

Ok. What would the sets/reps scheme would be for size, with the added weight?