Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Proper ring support

Neal Winkler

Neal Winkler

I tried to search the forum for answer to this, but I couldn't find a definitive one.

A little while back, forum member Rick posted the following video of himself...

ar45FPYS-dA

Coach complemented him on this position.

I was wondering, while this is a good ring support position, if this is 100% perfect? The reason is because I was playing around with the ring support and I decided to put a mirror in front on me to see what I looked like. I looked just like Rick (except not as muscular and ripped :lol: ).

But I noticed that in this position the shoulders are very slightly protracted and elevated. I then tried to "spread" my chest more and pinch my shoulder blades back and down. This is much harder to hold and it naturally causes the rings to move away from the body a couple more inches.

So, which is the 100% correct form? The slightly protracted form in the video above, or spreading the chest?

• 11 months later...
Larry Roseman

I'm not able to turn my arms out, although I can hold tight against the body for at least 60 seconds.

Turning them out is just not happening when they are tight and alighned with my front and backside to begin with.

I might be able to start in the correct position, though haven't tried this yet: is that the correct approach?

Jeremy Kieley

Yeah, I'm also curious if a ring support is supposed to be hollow body or chest up and shoulders back and down

• 3 weeks later...
Coach Sommer

Your long term goal is to aim for chest up and shoulders back and down during your support position.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• 2 weeks later...

When I do my ring support my shoulders are forward (the way most peoples shoulders are due to bad posture). Should I stop doing ring support? I find it literally impossible to move them back.

I even find on the PB L-Sit, I cannot do even the basic variation unless the shoulders are forward. It is only when I bend my elbows a bit that I start to see myself being capable of bringing the shoulders back. If i straighten the arm completely, I need to have the shoulders forward to some extent.

It would be most beneficial for you to back up several steps and strengthen the correct position under a reduced load. Remember that in the long run, too much too soon always leads to too little too late.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• 2 months later...
Hubert Häggman

What could be the problem with my elbow when it hurts while doing the support hold arms completely straight? The pain is NOT in the biceps tendon but rather in the medial elbow just behind the medial epicondylus. I think it could be some problem with the medial part of the triceps tendon, but the pain is not in the middle of the tendon. Another option could be some kind of strain in the ulnar collateral ligament or somewhere there in the medial elbow. It also hurts to do muscle up, dips too low or sometimes even diamond pushups.