Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My homemade dip-station/p-bars

Johann Wimmer

Johann Wimmer

Hello everybody!

inspired by a youtube Video posted on the board (i cannot remember the title exactly), I'm going to build myself a dip station. The main reason I'm going to build it are Russian dips, which will hopefully aid me in my muscle-up training.

Here is a conceptual image:

pbarrender.jpg

In the next few days i will acquire the necessary materials and start building; i don't know the exact dimensions of the pipe fittings, therefore the dimensions of the whole construction are yet to be defined. If anybody is interested, I'm gladly willing to share my CAD-Plans.

Any thoughts?

Johann

I made a dip station and it has V shaped bars, ideally I would be able to vary the angle of the bars to whatever I wanted. I am not sure if this could be incorporated in the design (that is if you would even want it).

On other sites I have seen people calling out certain "schedule numbers" i.e. the pipe thickness, these are usually US ratings, I am not sure what it would be in Austria, but some pipes are too weak to be making equipment like this with.

I think a problem with this eventually might be the cross bar near the top. Although it appears necessary for stability and maintaining the distance between the two bars to be used, it may get in the way for any kind of body swinging, which occurs during some PB dipping exercises. However, for straight dips, it should be ok. I would also be careful about the type of materials used relative to the location. PVC can put out some harmful gas, so I wouldn't put it in a living/sleeping area.

Johann Wimmer

I just finished my project, here is the result:

VkIO5.jpg

Forgive me, but i think they look slick ;-) I slightly improved my original design: The angled support is now directly connected to the base frame - seems much more logical :-)

The first test training will happen tomorrow - i hope the glue will have dried until then :mrgreen:

I think a problem with this eventually might be the cross bar near the top. Although it appears necessary for stability and maintaining the distance between the two bars to be used, it may get in the way for any kind of body swinging, which occurs during some PB dipping exercises. However, for straight dips, it should be ok.

They won't be used for anything but static dips; perhaps someday i will build a revised version with some kind of lateral support to allow me to train dynamic dip variations.

The pipes i used have a thickness of 2,4 mm (~0,1").

• Upvote 1

Joshua Naterman

Looks fantastic! I'm impressed with your fresh new color and geometrically pleasing angles!

Johann Wimmer

Thank you both :)

Although it will be a few months before I'll be capable of a handstand on this thing - I'm working on it :D

btw: I tested them a few hours ago and they are rock-solid :)

PVC can put out some harmful gas, so I wouldn't put it in a living/sleeping area.

Well...this makes me question my decision to have my PVC parallets beside my bed for the past year.

Joshua Naterman

THat only happens when the PVC gets REALLY hot. At room temperature, even in summer, that's not a real concern. All of your plumbing is PVC and you're not dying from it :P

Maybe a solid 5 foot stack of 10' tubes would be more of a problem, but paralletes aren't going to impact your health.

Nicholas Herreros

Great idea! They look great. I need to build one myself for swinging dips so you got me wondering about your design being used for swinging dips. :idea: :?: Do you think if you put the diagonal pipe supports on both sides and remove the horizonal pipe they would be sufficient enough for swinging? :|

Joshua Naterman

For swinging dips, if you choose to use PVC, you'll want to use the same diagonal support you see on the front, back, and outside of each rail upright. That will keep everything pretty solid and stable without getting in the way.

Honestly, you'll be better off using 4x6 uprights with 4x4 base and diagonal supports, like a T, with metal pipe for your bars. To do swinging dips properly you need to be on bars that are at a height equal to the top of your shoulders when you're on tip toe to make sure you don't hit the ground. I don't know that PVC could handle that strain at that height, for one thing, and while the wood and metal design may be slightly more expensive it will be modular for easy storage and will be much sturdier. You can also make some really cool attachments for the parallel bars that would allow you to do full GHR, inverted sit ups, RLL, Germans, etc.

• Upvote 1

Johann Wimmer

I'll agree with slizzardman. After some time with my device, I think it's absolutely possible to build PVC P-Bars for swinging dips, but i wouldn't recommend it. The footprint of such a device would be ridiculous - I think a wooden or steel structure is a better option, both structurally and in terms of versatility.

• 1 year later...

I want to ask a few questions about your design:

1. Why did you construct the back part of it like that. I know its for russian dips, but is it suppose to prevent the bar your hands are on from swinging from left to right? Does it work? How stable is it?

2. Can you give me the dimensions for it? I am interested in the dimensions of the height really. I was thinking of making one with height around 110-120cm. How tall are you?

I am considering on building this one if it is more reliable than the other one i posted.

Johann Wimmer

1.) When I'm in the middle of an russian dip, my center of gravity is behind my hands - without the extended base the whole thing would tip over. I'm nearly 90 kg and it's more than stable enough for me.

2.) The measurements are from axis to axis, i'm 178 cm tall:

BQT1b.jpg

• Upvote 1