Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GB European Seminar - interested?

Razz

I'm here! Woohoo!

A couple things: they don't have power adaptors at the hotel.

In the bus, keep an eye out/listen up for the stop "hotel el Cid," on the marquee thing and PA; press one of the little red buttons around the seats to request the stop. The bus won't take every stop if no one requests them, so it won't necessarily be the 6th. Look up, you can see the hotel's sign from the stop, like a minute ahead. Keep an eye out for the tiny almost hidden entrance.

Sorry if all this is obvious to everyone; surprised the tourist out of me, first time on an European bus. Also, have small change.

The hotel does offer 24h Internet packs for 5€, though for some reason it won't work on my computer, just the iPhone. And it's droppy.

And last up, this won't affect us on seminar days, but apparently everything is closed from like 13:00 to 17:00. Siesta!

Now I gotta go explore. Anyone who gets here early and finds himself bored out of his mind, drop me a PM. Cheerio.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mats Trane

• Razz

• Alvaro Antolinez

• Cole Dano

David Picó García

Yes, commercial time is usually from 10 AM to 13:30 or 14:00 and from 17:00 to 20:00, (yes siesta time :P )

And meal time is usually at 14:00 and at 21:00-22:00 hours at night. May be extended near hotel because of lots of north european visitors who eat really soon.

Good luck, gents.

To fool pickpocketers, carry a cheap wallet that can be picked easily with nothing in it and carry your valuables around your neck or under your shirt with a wrap around belt. Another ruse is a money clip with money on the outside wrapping around simple paper.

Spain sounds nice.

Alvaro Antolinez

You'll find pickpockers only on touristic crowded areas, and mostly in summer. Now is not a big concern, but if you are not used to them they are very effective! I'll bring an adaptor for bladed plugs.

I forgot a somewhat vital question; is tipping mandatory like in the us, rude like in newzealand, or truly optional like a sane place?

cdx there was one other guy, wasn't there? We still meeting up in airport or was that never really a deal? I arrive 17.30 so if you don't wanna wait that's cool

Christian Sørlie

cdx, didn't you get the PM from bjonic, it was sent to all of us on the plane.

You, me, Alex and bjonic are on the same plane. I'm zurich from 12'ish actually.

Razz, since the hotell was so close it's probably better to meet up there.

SOOOO EXCITED!!

Alvaro Antolinez

yes plugs are like that but usually have the ground-neutral at a different place, the standard electronics plugs should work.

Tips are optional in Spain, usually some 20 50 cents will do, if it is an expensive dinner something like one euro per person is more than enough (that is if you are happy!) :D .

I see we missed lots of points at the briefing!. :shock:

Tip issue ended up solving itself with a 9€ minimum for credit cards and a 7.80€ dish.

--

Can I expect every local here to speak Catalan? I've been rocking the portuñol like I never have before, works reasonably well most of the tIme but I'm wondering if putting on a Portugal accent instead might get me replies in Catalan, since the accents sound so much alike? I love the way it sounds, I want to hear more of it :)

--

insomnia with Internet restricted to phone, on the other hand, sucks pretty hard :(

Hope you are all having a good time...love to meet up with the hall crew after sometime after seminar.

Luis Sarabia

633 155 678

Look forward to that!!!

:D

Nicholas Sortino

I am sitting in Madrid Barajas right now. My flight leaves in about 1 1/2 hrs and I should land there by 1100. Should be an interesting experience, I am not a fan of this airport though.

Also, idea... Europe, you should get together and make a common language, so I don't have to try to learn 100 different ones if i want to travel everywhere, lol. I think I should just respond to everyone here with the limited Japanese I know to really confuse them.

Learning new languages is one of the best things for brain health Nick, enjoy it :)

plus in my experience English will only leave you completely hanging if you're surrounded by old people or the French. And they'll all get alzheimers' anyway for refusing to learn another language :)

what's wrong with barajas though? Look up at the pretty ceiling if eye level is gettinng you down.

I'm at the burger king in Zurich with some beef and chocolate and an overdose of energy! I hope that I'll be able to find Christian, bjonic and CDX soon ^^

How's the trip going for everyone else?

Can't wait to meet all of you

M_L_T@Hotmail.com
I am sitting in Madrid Barajas right now. My flight leaves in about 1 1/2 hrs and I should land there by 1100. Should be an interesting experience, I am not a fan of this airport though.

Also, idea... Europe, you should get together and make a common language, so I don't have to try to learn 100 different ones if i want to travel everywhere, lol. I think I should just respond to everyone here with the limited Japanese I know to really confuse them.

I think that was tried with Esperantino... It didn't catch on.

My parents are still 'waiting for Latin to come back into fashion'

Nicholas Sortino

I don't mind new languages... I just honestly don't like most European ones.

So today was an epic fail so far. When I arrived in PMI my luggage was nowhere to be found. Of course I should have expected nothing less... It just finally showed up at least, so I won't have to ask anyone for workout clothes tomorrow, lol.

I also wasn't paying attention and got on the wrong bus this morning at the airport. I ended about 2km north of the Cathedral before I realized I as in the wrong place and had no clue where I was. I just got off the bus and walked. For about 2hrs with a heavy backpack. I eventually found the place, but that was a hell of a walk, and I really didn't know which bus to get on. I just followed the beach until I found the place, lol. I wish my phone worked here so I could have used the GPS. I just had to ask people if I was going in the right direction a few times. Oh, forgot to mention, that walk was in FiveFingers... Feet are definitely sore now.

Hopefully the rest of this weekend is awesome though.