Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

reverse planches

cathal

what are the progressions for reverse planches? would a tuck reverse planche be a manna or what?

Girls in gymnastics do something called a reverse planche that involved an extreme arch in their back with their legs over the head while they lean forward into their shoulders.

1:55

Guest Valentin

Chris Waller did a reverse planche in his floor routine at the 1992 Olympics. He didn't use back flexibility but rather shoulder flexibility. I would upload a video of him doing it, but the angle is back on so you can't see much.

Here is an example of how it looks when done using shoulder flexibility (not the greatest video, but it does show illustrate the point)

The way to learn this is really practice and a good deal of shoulder flexibility.

Have a good bridge is a must.

I used to play around with these and there are 2 options o learning (well that ti used)

1- Do it towards a wall. Kick up to handstand about 1/3 to 1/2 a body length away from the wall. Once your feet touch wall, try and pull away by opening the shoulder angle and counter balancing. From here on practice helps. Once you can do it this way..you can adjust the distance form the wall... or just not use a wall. The point is to gain the control and feel the balance. You can also practice this from a HS, slowly try to assume the reverse planche so that your feet just! stop before the wall. If you can do that am hold it there is your reverse planche. The amplitude of it depends on your shoulder flexibility.

2- Alternatively get someone to spot you into the position and you practice balancing it, while they help you stay within that balance zone (like spotting someone for a Handstand)

Try doing it with your hands on small balancing blocks, like acrobats use.

thanks for that. im was actually just curious to know the progressions-i wasnt actually planning to train it(have to learn regular planche first). its not a hold thats done on the rings often is it? its often done by those breakdancers though

Guest Valentin

I have never seen the reverse planche on the rings. I would imagine that its virtually impossible, but then again...as long as the center of mass is over the base of support you have balance, so i guess it is theoretically possible.