Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Forearm Reverse Planche (New Skill!?!?!)

jamesters

G-wVpt-Ya_E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-wVpt-Ya_E

(There just happened to be a hot chick when I was filming so I left her in! :oops: ) I've never seen this skill done before and I've watched a lot of equilibre. Might I possibly become the first? If you've seen it before please let me know! The forearm reverse planche is distinctly different from a forearm scorpion in that the head and chest is on the other side of the shoulders which makes it far more difficult on strength (though easier on flexibility in general). This skill takes a fair degree of shoulder and upper back flexibility in order to get the head through to the other side of the shoulders. Mostly though, it takes strength.

Even though I wasn't able to hold this skill with straight legs together, it's a new skill I've been working and it does feel possible with more practice. My head is only about 1-2 inches off the floor, but even with great technique and flexibility, I don't know if the head could get any higher than 4 inches off the floor, I think it's majorly limited by the joints because of the awkward position.

I also attempted lowering from a reverse planche (from hands) to forearms, but it didn't feel as if it would be possible (though I could be wrong). The shoulder angle is so awkward it's hard to lower and when I would I'd just fall too fast and bonk my head.

Sorry to disappoint you, but bboys have been doing this for a long time.

Google "hollow back". It exists in all sorts of variations.

RsM7kTVTZbk

Edit: actually yours looks more like a starting progression of tiger bend to hollow back:

0aHfnM51KHk

Sorry to disappoint you, but bboys have been doing this for a long time.

Google "hollow back". It exists in all sorts of variations.

RsM7kTVTZbk

Edit: actually yours looks more like a starting progression of tiger bend to hollow back:

0aHfnM51KHk

All of those were overarches of different forms, some straight arm and some bent, but none of them were forearm which is significantly different. If you say breakdancers have done forearm reverse planches before, I wouldn't be in shock, but I've seen plenty of great bboys and never seen this done, so visual confirmation would be nice.

EDIT: I see you edited right now, but what I'm doing is also different from tiger bend since it stays on forearms, it never goes to hands.

Doing a hollow back on forearms is easier than doing it from handstand which is the natural next progression.

Now i don't have a video of somebody doing it, but I have seen people doing this in order to prepare for HS hollow backs.

Definitely nothing new.

The hollow back that the B-Boys are doing is different though due to the elbows coming way out to the sides which makes the backbend element much easier. Its more of a dislocate. Done in the peacock position with ideally elbows not angling in will work the shoulders/backbend element in healthier way though it becomes much more challenging to get so close to the floor.

Of course this is coming from a yoga guy perspective and in no way meant to belittle the amazing skills of the B-Boys!

Jamesters - have you found a coach, someone to help you both technically and programing wise? You have a boatload of talent, but your posts are all over the place and often involve serious technical problems that i'm sure could be easily corrected if you had outside help. Doing things technically right is important because it not only looks better, but its what keeps you from getting injured.

Spend more time on the fundamentals, and don't worry about finding new skills. This particular skill really should start from a very straight body line elbow balance. From there with straight legs extend and lift though the shoulders without allowing the elbows to rotate outwards (a great exercise for the external rotators and serratus anterior) and begin to extend out through the legs only so far that you can hold.

Get the elbows to stay in first with a good body line, thats already very close then move into the straight back scorpion. Its a fantastic shoulder opener!

I don't mean to be harsh, i really think you have too much potential to waste it spinning your wheels.

Doing a hollow back on forearms is easier than doing it from handstand which is the natural next progression.

Now i don't have a video of somebody doing it, but I have seen people doing this in order to prepare for HS hollow backs.

I find that odd because I can do reverse planche from hands easy, but this feels very difficult.

Definitely nothing new.

The hollow back that the B-Boys are doing is different though due to the elbows coming way out to the sides which makes the backbend element much easier. Its more of a dislocate. Done in the peacock position with ideally elbows not angling in will work the shoulders/backbend element in healthier way though it becomes much more challenging to get so close to the floor.

Of course this is coming from a yoga guy perspective and in no way meant to belittle the amazing skills of the B-Boys!

Jamesters - have you found a coach, someone to help you both technically and programing wise? You have a boatload of talent, but your posts are all over the place and often involve serious technical problems that i'm sure could be easily corrected if you had outside help. Doing things technically right is important because it not only looks better, but its what keeps you from getting injured.

Spend more time on the fundamentals, and don't worry about finding new skills. This particular skill really should start from a very straight body line elbow balance. From there with straight legs extend and lift though the shoulders without allowing the elbows to rotate outwards (a great exercise for the external rotators and serratus anterior) and begin to extend out through the legs only so far that you can hold.

Get the elbows to stay in first with a good body line, thats already very close then move into the straight back scorpion. Its a fantastic shoulder opener!

I don't mean to be harsh, i really think you have too much potential to waste it spinning your wheels.

Well, I'm going to be training with Ido in August, other than that I have a coach that helps me a bit with tumbling, everything else is just on my own.

As for elbows rotating outward, it seems to allow me more flexibility to get my head to the other side, though perhaps with training that's something that can be developed without the elbows going outward so I'll think about that. However, I wouldn't call it scorpion as I feel the skill is significantly different (whether on hands or on forearms) depending on what side the head is on, I think because with the head comes the chest which eases up on flexibility requirement but takes a lot more strength.

Example:

Hand Scorpion (couldn't find straight legged example):

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTs13lY25gUIhj6XGfarfX1L4cW3Op6sHqlkI9_-icSX1qTyas&t=1&usg=__79Et8klGKrvvH8TwPr8ojN27_YI=

Hand Reverse Planche (couldn't find a good example of this on Google Images, perhaps I'll upload a video of my own later):

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxhMPt5SLtFU_S8YXaw1a6JL5vUQKoaN-Qlo8ZEXFC4TV26ls&t=1&usg=__PJKHF3XcG7qiP9-piaCDG0382ws=

Forearm Scorpion (couldn't find straight legged example):

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShPrjc3yupoYC2jeOsuYcoSMURgy4BjGcjmoho9nLRXNhzr1A&t=1&usg=__Ne0vwyX2jFGtSZWNbR6zo3Q6M9I=

Awesome to hear you will hook up with Ido, i'm sure he can really help you out!

Like the previous poster said, the elbow balance can be looked at as a prep for hollow back hand stand which with a great deal of skill can be taken all the way to the floor. Coach posted about this earlier.

Yes if you let your elbows slide in its easier, but to really work on correct shoulder opening, the forearms should remain parallel. You will really have to work from you shoulder blades to attain this.

If you look at the top photo you gave and the bottom, its pretty clear which has open shoulders and which doesn't. In fact if you were to visualize the man in the top photo somehow lowering himself beautifully to his elbows its not hard to imagine that they would wind up parallel.

Sure its harder! The top photo and the bottom one say it all. Getting the elbow balance to work with elbows parallel in scorpion or hollow back will clearly groom one for doing the same on the hands. For you this is way more important then B-Boy style for carryover into all of your inverted work.

Jason Stein

James

One-arm forearm hollowback at 6:49?

(Done with b-boy style.)

3QwUTwZf2-c

This video shows some of the more extreme arm balances; for good measure, there're even a bunch of yoga poses we do, taken onto one arm.

best,

jason

James

One-arm forearm hollowback at 6:49?

(Done with b-boy style.)

3QwUTwZf2-c

This video shows some of the more extreme arm balances; for good measure, there're even a bunch of yoga poses we do, taken onto one arm.

best,

jason

That was damn cool, but still fairly different from what I'm going for.

Bboys would call this a forearm hollowback what you have in mind.

forearm_hollow4.jpg

hollow11.jpg

B-boy_RTHYM_Elbow_Hollow.jpg

Pictures I found on bboy.org. They might not be executed perfectly extended legs and one with the head resting on the floor but I think it's simmilar enough to what you had in mind?