Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

back lever compared to front lever

twan

i'm training to hold a front lever and eventually a front lever pullup. I've heard it would be best to learn back lever first before trying the front lever. I've been training the back lever for 3 weeks and I'm almost there. I think I'm going to try to hit a 30sec back lever before trying the front lever progressions. I just wanted to know how much harder the front lever is than the back lever???

thx in advance

Coach Sommer

It is not necessary to learn the back lever prior to working on the front lever. I would recommend however that initially the back lever be your primary focus between the two.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I can hold a straddle front lever for about 5 seconds, but come nowhere near holding a back lever. To me the front lever is almost easier.

David Picó García

Now im starting to achive the front lever, and some weeks ago i won the battle against the back lever :P. Although i can hold much more time and perhaps thats the reason (well thats really a few seconds :wink: ) the back lever i find it much more demanding all over my body, i have to tens even my eyelids. In fact i cant see which muscles works harder because i squeeze all my body. With front lever all the preassure i feel it in the muscles surrounding my armpits.

I think you can train them at the same time doing 360 (or 180) pulls going from back to front (with legs tucked, one leg, or full just lowering doing negatives) That worked for me.

I think back lever is understimated, as is the easiest lever, but for us, mere mortals fitness entusiasts throgh gymnastics i find it an incredible exercise that works all the body.

About a year ago I tried a back lever for the first time. I almost landed on my head. I had been working my muscleups and I found that they helped me a great deal. Learning to control my body position, my chest, pushing downward with my hands instead of just letting them sit there holding me up, and connecting my elbows to my body were things I had to work on for a while. I also had problems with straightening my legs for a while. I just couldn't feel them. I would work them in on my rings day (once per week for 1 or 2 sets)

Without actually working them too often I actually managed to get them. Again, this is after a year though.

• 3 years later...

just shows that everyone has different strengths. i can hold a fully extended linear back lever hands facing down for good 15seconds but can only hold a straddled front lever for 5seconds. also i cant even do one strict muscle up.