Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HSPU Eludes Me

Indy

Guys, I need some advice on my handstand and HSPU training. I have been training the Free Handstand Hold along with other pressing exercises for a couple of years now on and off, and I have what I believe is a pretty solid HS hold. I do some holds at different depths as well. I have been dabbling in the HS Wall Run, and negative against the wall lately, but a true full range HSPU has been eluding me for some time. I am about 6'1'' with long arms and am a decent presser, but even stronger puller. Today, I worked negatives against the wall (w/ back to wall) in clusters of 4 (do one negative, jump right back up and do another, repeat, etc), and the negatives seem to be coming easier, but I am having trouble pressing out of the range of motion when my head gets closer to the ground. Sometimes I will even see how close I am to getting a free HSPU and it is about the same as the wall. Does anyone have any advice on HSPU training given where I am at right now? Thanks.

How is your dipping ability?

Excellent question. I am not sure as I do not work on these. If they will help, I will definitely add them into my program. I do not own any rings, but I could hit some outdoor exercise equipment at a park that has parallel bars. What types of dips (weighted, unweighted, ring, etc...) would be best to concentrate on?

Erik Sjolin

Quick q myself.

Should I start training HeSPU's facing the wall? I got to the point where I can consistently do 3x4 of (about one hand length) elevated, but lately my form has been, for lack of a better word, lousy.

I figure I should go back to when I can do them perfectly straight, but I was also curious if I should do them facing the wall, since that'd be closer to how you are without assistance.

I prefer stomach2wall vs back2wall. Generally better form.

It's been said before, pushup>dip>hspu by coach. Once trying dip variations have been mastered, one could move on to hspu variations. Something like that.

Erik Sjolin

Tried doing a couple of floor depth HeSPU's with my toes on the wall. Really awkward position. Could I do the same sort of thing simply training freestanding (in which case I'd do it straddle. For some reason that's easier)?

Also, would training the shoulderstand like slizzardman suggested help?

I prefer stomach2wall vs back2wall. Generally better form.

It's been said before, pushup>dip>hspu by coach. Once trying dip variations have been mastered, one could move on to hspu variations. Something like that.

Thanks Blairbob, I have been working push-up variations. I will work dip training into my regimen and let you know how it goes in my Free HSPU (and HSPU in general) quest. Indy.