Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Prerequisites?

Chris Hansen

Jure Rakuljic

This is my summary of all the pages so far. If there is anything i missed note me. So we can make this work. 

Starter/Beginner-Program

1.Master 3x60sec on each hold once you master it move too step 2.

Hollow Hold              Builds strenght for the Front Lever
 Arch Hold                 Builds strenght for the Back Lever
 Plank Hold (Bent arms)
 Reverse Plank Hold

2.Master 3x60sec on each hold once you master it move too step 3.

+Planche Leans                Builds strenght for the Planche
 +L-sit                                 Builds strenght for the Planche
 +Chin-Grip Hang Hold       Before german hold
 +Handstand

3.Master 3x60sec on each hold once you master it move too step 4.

+German hang                   Will help too build up too the Plance
+Straddle L

4.Master 3x60sec on each hold once you master it move too step 5.

+Back Lever                       Before Planche
+MSH

5.Master Step You Are Now Considered A Boss Of The Ground Game .

+Planche 
+V-sit

Notes:

1. Requirement phase = 3x60s holds with 30-60s of rest between reps. This is also requirement before start working on the next progression.
  2. Maintenance phase = 60sec holds. This maintains the holds you already got and is a good warmup that you shud use.
  3. You always want too hit something in the prerequisite list that you have mastered once a week, just to maintain it. 

Good too know:  
  • For levers, master basic hollow and arch holds besides basic ring hangs.
  • If you cannot do an L-hang, tuck FL is probably moot as well. Focus on the L-hang, and do holds and negatives of the tuck levers or SkinTheCats
  • If L-sit Walks are too difficult, perform Ag Walks. If Ag Walks are too difficult, perform Planks./coach sommer
  • My recommendation is first attain a 30 L-sit on the floor, then a 30 sec straddle L on the floor and finally a 30 sec MSH on the floor, before you begin to seriously work V-sits./coach sommer
  • Good stretching for V sits  --> weighted pike stretches

• Upvote 5

Hmm not wanting to sound rude but i think you got it all mixed up in the very beginning Jure, as I can recall the very basics are

3x60 of:

• Hollow hold
  • Arch hold
  • Plank (with straight arms and scapular protracion)
  • Reverse plank (In arched position)
  • PB support
  • Dead hang

Then the "next level" would be

3x30 of:

• L hang (helps FL)
  • German hang (for BL)
  • L-sit (for PL)
  • Rings support (shoulder and biceps prehab)

Afer mastering this very basics you can expect to actually progress in the traditional FSPs such as PL, BL, FL V sit, straddle L and so on, but well please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

• Upvote 8

Matus Michalicka

Reverse plank should be arched or hollow? and what about hand placement - should hands points towards feet like in L-sit or backwards like in manna?

Bryan Wheelock

Is the goal of ring support holds only supposed to be held 3*30s?

I've been working towards 3*60s and it is incredibly difficult(current workout times are 3*40s)

I'm curious if the hangs could progress to things like more challenging hang variants..

I can easily do 60 on some 1.5 in PVC stirrup things I made, but my max on towel hangs is 15s.

I'm doing 4 set of 8s twice a week.

Jure Rakuljic
Hmm not wanting to sound rude but i think you got it all mixed up in the very beginning Jure, as I can recall the very basics are

3x60 of:

• Hollow hold
  • Arch hold
  • Plank (with straight arms and scapular protracion)
  • Reverse plank (In arched position)
  • PB support
  • Dead hang

Then the "next level" would be

3x30 of:

• L hang (helps FL)
  • German hang (for BL)
  • L-sit (for PL)
  • Rings support (shoulder and biceps prehab)

Afer mastering this very basics you can expect to actually progress in the traditional FSPs such as PL, BL, FL V sit, straddle L and so on, but well please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

Hi hernandez. You are not rude we are just trying too help each other out here. And make the best out of it.

We have the same start holds  exepct (arch,hollow,plank,rev plank) you have pb support and dead hang. I agree it sounds good but as a newb formyself i figuerd out that it would be too mutch having 6holds as a beginner so i added the Chin-Grip and Hang Hold  in step 2. My whole idea is too work up too more holds as you can hold 4very basic ones (so it dont become too many holds as a beginner).

You have the pb support witch prob is a basic one but i added the handstand instead since it hold up your bodyweight with straight arms also and in the future can help you for other handstand movment such as handstand pushups. Where pb support is very basic and dips is the only next progression i can think of (and since we already have the L sit the pb support too me seems like no need tbh since you are holding up your weight with both arms at L sit also or even a tucked Lsit).

You have both L hang and L sit, is it not better too focus on only one either L sit or L hang? Too me it seems 2 L sit moves dont seem right since both hit the main muscle ''abs'' it seems better too focus on 1 of those. 

After my understanding you are jumping from L sit too a v sit? From Coach sommer and other advanced members i heard you shud master straddle L and MSH before going V sit.

L hang before tucked FL is adviced. This makes thing little more complicated since L hang is needed also. 

Now i have a new question how about if you want too master V sit and FL shud you focus on L hangs and L sits both? Anyone who knows? Doing L hangs and L sits both at same time seems weird?

• Upvote 1

Coach is working on a second edition to the BtGB book that covers this stuff. I don't know how he feels about me posting all that, because we got that at the seminars.

German hang is a pre-requisite for back lever training. If you can't hold 3x30 unassisted German Hang you shouldn't even start BL.

Coach has also said in several posts that he prefers people develop a solid L-sit before putting too much time into planche. I will find out how much he is comfortable with me posting.

For levels, this should help:

Source: Yahoo! Answers. Consider that this is for women's gymnastics. There are similar requirement trees for men's gymnastics.

I want to point out that I searched for "gymnastic levels" on google and this was one of the first three results. Everyone who reads this, please learn to search google. You can find out most of what you need to know......

Those links dont provide any info just a website.  Any help?

Mitchell Rabushka

I am grateful to Coach for putting up this website so we can all piece together information from each other, but it will be nice when Coach comes out with his new book that lays out the templates with progressions for us relatively new guys to refer to.  Anyone have a release date?

• Upvote 1

Matus Michalicka

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="spyro7800" data-cid="93557" data-time="1357660573"><p>

Reverse plank should be arched or hollow? and what about hand placement - should hands points towards feet like in L-sit or backwards like in manna?</p></blockquote>

bump, anyone?

(clearly my iphone doesnt want to quote properly)

Reverse Plank is a naturally arched position, it's a member of the backbend family.

Hand position is somewhat optional, but fingers pointing back is going to have more straight arm strength carry over.

• Upvote 1

Yes, this was covered at the seminar recently. Most of these are 3x30-60s. This has been stated at the seminar and on the forum recently. Btw, Slizzardman I made sure that all of this info has been stated on the forum prior though they were stated at the seminar as well.

As a basic beginner your focus should be on:

basic PB support. PB support and ring support are not the same.

hollow and arch holds are critical gymnastics position

L-sit (then straddle-L, then MiddleSplitHold aka manna progression) Of course, if you cannot do an L-hang, tuck FL is probably moot as well. I have attempted with gymnasts to work tuck FL before/instead of mastery of the L-hang, and it's fun but they don't really go anywhere with it. If anything, they focus on the L-hang and do holds and negatives of the tuck levers or SkinTheCats.

wall HS and HeS

inverted hang, german hang and possibly ring support. ring support may have to be scaled back to a pushup hold position with the rings.

L-sit before planche is another on FX.

Rings goes support, L-sit, HS, press to HS, planche, cross. Levers figure somewhere in there.

For levers, master basic hollow and arch holds besides basic ring hangs.

Deck squat before SLS

The whole discussion of the thread (I've read all pages) is summed up here for me. So for all wondering. Read this post carefully, then read trough the whole thread, and go back reading this and it will all makes sense!

Summed up it's

PB Support 3x60

Arch Hold 3x60

Hollow Hold 3x60

L-Sit 3x60

L-Hang 3x60

Wall HS 3x60

HeS 3x60

Inverted Hang 3x60

Reverted Hang 3x60

Ring Support 3x60

Which, If I can count, would take between 2.5 to 3.5 minutes per technique. So lets say 3mins for 10 exercises is a 30min workout assuming you can hold all 60secs.

Just theoretically.

I didn't understand a thing before I came to this thread, and can honestly say that the program I designed a week a go needs to be re-written. Off course after I've tested these prerequisites. I'll be back later

-Tor

newbeginner

• Upvote 1

Mitchell Rabushka

I'm working the 6 pre-FSP's about 3 x / week now because I really need to nail them so I can move along to the more advanced stuff.  Just wondering if doing other lighter core work like side planks and bird dogs in descending ladders of 10 second holds (4x10, 3x10, 2x10 like McGill recommends) on the days in-between my pre-FSP days is ok or will these less intense exercises get in the way of recovery from my pre-FSP's?  Any opinions?

Mitchell Rabushka
I'm working the 6 pre-FSP's about 3 x / week now because I really need to nail them so I can move along to the more advanced stuff.  Just wondering if doing other lighter core work like side planks and bird dogs in descending ladders of 10 second holds (4x10, 3x10, 2x10 like McGill recommends) on the days in-between my pre-FSP days is ok or will these less intense exercises get in the way of recovery from my pre-FSP's?  Any opinions?

...and also wondering if Hanging Leg Raises on days in between the 6 pre-FSP's will hinder recovery and prolong the road to 3x60sec for the pre-FSP's?

• 6 months later...
Connor Davies

Maintenance set.

Don't be a Warm-Up hero. It's a warmup.

Damn, now I wish I'd picked Warm-up Hero as my screen name....

Jon Douglas

Damn, now I wish I'd picked Warm-up Hero as my screen name....

Heh, 'warm-up hero' is a perfect term. Will be spreading that one.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I'm literally just starting out. After many many years of weight training and other "strong man" feats I am near 36 yrs old with a very weak core. I have recently purchased the Foundation One series and wonder whether at my age I need to take any particular precautions. Is it too late to build my core from the very start?

Connor Davies

Hi

I'm literally just starting out. After many many years of weight training and other "strong man" feats I am near 36 yrs old with a very weak core. I have recently purchased the Foundation One series and wonder whether at my age I need to take any particular precautions. Is it too late to build my core from the very start?

Oh come on you're only 36.  Just stick with it and you'll be fine...

FREDERIC DUPONT

(...) I am near 36 yrs old (...) Is it too late to build my core from the very start?

Sorry to say, but ..............yes! :(

Take on knitting at knittingbadass.com, they have detailed progressions that teach you to knit your own socks with toes in 6 weeks or less...

Okay, just kidding :D

===>> it is not too late, but don't waste any more time! :)

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...
Jon Douglas

So if I own f1 this is all pretty much included correct?

Yep! There might be some that turn up a little later in the Foundation series, but it all starts there :)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...