Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What happened to GymnasticBodies?

John Crocker

John Crocker

I'm coming back to GB after a few years off. First purchased Foundations 1 many years ago before GymFit was a thing. I remember Coach Sommer was on several podcasts, Awaken in Colorado was still open and posting content, and new courses were being added to GymFit.

It doesn't seem like there's much going on on any of the social media channels and no new content here on GymFit. Where is the best place to  connect with the GB community? Are there any trainers or affiliates to follow?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Patriq Hansson

I would love to see some new content as well, but my best guess is that the existing programs and follow along videos are pretty much all you need, and they don't have to add or tweak anything to make it better. 

Something I'd like to see is videos of how an extremely inflexible and out of shape individual could scale all the different stretch exercises. I'm no where near being able to perform most of them. 

Better activity on social media and YouTube would be welcome as well. 

• Upvote 1

Matthew Walker
On 5/21/2023 at 4:42 PM, John Crocker said:

I'm coming back to GB after a few years off. First purchased Foundations 1 many years ago before GymFit was a thing. I remember Coach Sommer was on several podcasts, Awaken in Colorado was still open and posting content, and new courses were being added to GymFit.

It doesn't seem like there's much going on on any of the social media channels and no new content here on GymFit. Where is the best place to  connect with the GB community? Are there any trainers or affiliates to follow?

Bodyweight fitness has kind of exploded (a lot of that credit would go to @Coach Sommer and GymnasticBodies for their old articles/podcasts). Unfortunately that also means an assload of apps, sites, etc. offering all kinds of sub optimal bodyweight programs. Some even taking the exercises from Foundation, changing a few things around and calling it some new magical program. People love what's easy. Stick with GB and you'll get stronger than 99% of people, trust me. I had actually gotten quite far in foundation (straddle planche, front lever, back lever, pistol squat, v-sit) but due to a shitty autoimmune condition where I could barely walk and couldn't even hold a cup), had a bunch of surgeries and didn't do anything for almost 4 years until I got a correct diagnoses and medication. I have since started again from scratch and I found that even with all my lingering issues I'm still stronger than every other middle aged guy in my neighborhood shuffling around the yard like they're 90 years old. There is enough content here to last you many years and nothing really comes close that's out there. 

• Like 2

Alessandro Mainente
1 hour ago, Matthew Walker said:

Bodyweight fitness has kind of exploded (a lot of that credit would go to @Coach Sommer and GymnasticBodies for their old articles/podcasts). Unfortunately that also means an assload of apps, sites, etc. offering all kinds of sub optimal bodyweight programs. Some even taking the exercises from Foundation, changing a few things around and calling it some new magical program. People love what's easy. Stick with GB and you'll get stronger than 99% of people, trust me. I had actually gotten quite far in foundation (straddle planche, front lever, back lever, pistol squat, v-sit) but due to a shitty autoimmune condition where I could barely walk and couldn't even hold a cup), had a bunch of surgeries and didn't do anything for almost 4 years until I got a correct diagnoses and medication. I have since started again from scratch and I found that even with all my lingering issues I'm still stronger than every other middle aged guy in my neighborhood shuffling around the yard like they're 90 years old. There is enough content here to last you many years and nothing really comes close that's out there. 

i quote.... GB logic plus customized program in the long terms makes a lot of difference. the amount of basic conditioning that GB programs provide are by far the best if compared to other programs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Justan Human
On 5/21/2023 at 3:42 PM, John Crocker said:

It seems like this forum is the last vestige of the GB community. While I have lurked and learned from it for a long time, I am just now (with this) starting to take an active approach.

As far as I am aware, there are no "official" GB trainers, affiliates, or even athletes to follow apart from https://www.instagram.com/christophersommer1 

To +1 OP's sentiments, it would be greatly appreciated to get some fresh content in either GymFit or social media. And by fresh, I do not mean recreating the core foundations which are solid. Rather, it would be nice to see:

• the gold nuggets buried pages deep in these forums to be brought to light in either a video or stand-alone post
  • "technical tip" type videos for the exercises and mobility drills after level one that dive into the physio, sports science, and anatomy side
  • Anything (advocates, blogs, equipment lists, podcasts, exercises (plyometrics!)) new in https://my.gymnasticbodies.com/information 
  •  reshot videos. While 4k 60fps may be too much to ask for, even 1080p shot with a modern day camera phone would be a huge improvement for the strength and mobility videos with the kids
  • while Alan Bower, Jeffrey Bittner, and the rest are phenomenal athletes who learned these skills well before their bodies were fully developed, it would be a lot more reassuring to see the skills executed by someone of the adult demographic

Although I understand the GB's teams (which I suspect is skeleton staff now) stance of "if it's not broken, don't fix it", it would be awesome to have a more Kaizen continual improvement (much like our training) aspect as well

EDIT:

After searching Instagram just now for the hashtag #christophersommer from the Handstand Challenge, @evolvetofit has been posting new stuff regularly and say that they are a @gymnasticbodies Affiliate in their bio...

Edited by Justan Human

Alessandro Mainente
16 minutes ago, Justan Human said:

It seems like this forum is the last vestige of the GB community. While I have lurked and learned from it for a long time, I am just now (with this) starting to take an active approach.

As far as I am aware, there are no "official" GB trainers, affiliates, or even athletes to follow apart from https://www.instagram.com/christophersommer1 

To +1 OP's sentiments, it would be greatly appreciated to get some fresh content in either GymFit or social media. And by fresh, I do not mean recreating the core foundations which are solid. Rather, it would be nice to see:

• the gold nuggets buried pages deep in these forums to be brought to light in either a video or stand-alone post
  • "technical tip" type videos for the exercises and mobility drills after level one that dive into the physio, sports science, and anatomy side
  • Anything (advocates, blogs, equipment lists, podcasts, exercises (plyometrics!)) new in https://my.gymnasticbodies.com/information 
  •  reshot videos. While 4k 60fps may be too much to ask for, even 1080p shot with a modern day camera phone would be a huge improvement for the strength and mobility videos with the kids
  • while Alan Bower, Jeffrey Bittner, and the rest are phenomenal athletes who learned these skills well before their bodies were fully developed, it would be a lot more reassuring to see the skills executed by someone of the adult demographic

Although I understand the GB's teams (which I suspect is skeleton staff now) stance of "if it's not broken, don't fix it", it would be awesome to have a more Kaizen continual improvement (much like our training) aspect as well

well....if you want to see results of the strict approach of GB curriculum you can look to my clients in my IG page.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Adam Rosner 365999

Wanted to second evolvefit. Many people also find success and then try to create their own identity after that. There are a lot of good voices out there, but the reality is that the internet is the Wild West and it is often so easy to repackage something and make your own way from it. It takes a long time for people to figure out the cream from the chaff, and most probably don’t have a hope of figuring that out.