Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help! Job depends on this

Thomas Docherty

Thomas Docherty

I am sorry if there is something in the blogs that would help me but I am too currently too stressed to look for answers in the blogs. I needed to post this first and then start looking. I bought a bunch of the courses a long time ago. I always loved the programs but only did it sporadically. I recently started again due to something I have to do for work and I fell in love all over again and want to keep it up now I feel great.

My issue is that I am an overweight fitness professional that just likes to pick heavy things up. The main reason I signed up for GB was because I wanted to lose weight and get athletic again but just haven't stuck with it.

I just found out an hour ago that in 4 weeks I have to take a fitness test and I need to pass it with a high standard (NAVY PRT) and it kind of depends on me keeping this position in my job. For this test it requires me to perform max push ups in 2 minutes without resting a max effort plank followed by a 1.5 mile run.  I also have to pass a bodyfat test that I would not pass right now. 

I plan to fully test myself this weekend to see how far off I am but I know I will need to lose 3 inches at least off my waist and I will struggle with the run. 

For the past two weeks to at least get in shape (without knowing I had to pass) I have been doing Foundations upper M/Th and Foundations Core and Lower T/Fri and daily limber when I remember. I separate that by at least 3 hours and do a cardio workout 3 times a week where I either did the rower, biked or Ran. I ran a mile yesterday but no where near the pace I will need. On top of this I started doing the Thrive and have made it to level 3. 

To me this seems as though it will be impossible but I am highly motivated now and plan to push as hard as possible so any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.

Alessandro Mainente
On 3/17/2023 at 7:45 PM, Thomas Docherty said:

I am sorry if there is something in the blogs that would help me but I am too currently too stressed to look for answers in the blogs. I needed to post this first and then start looking. I bought a bunch of the courses a long time ago. I always loved the programs but only did it sporadically. I recently started again due to something I have to do for work and I fell in love all over again and want to keep it up now I feel great.

My issue is that I am an overweight fitness professional that just likes to pick heavy things up. The main reason I signed up for GB was because I wanted to lose weight and get athletic again but just haven't stuck with it.

I just found out an hour ago that in 4 weeks I have to take a fitness test and I need to pass it with a high standard (NAVY PRT) and it kind of depends on me keeping this position in my job. For this test it requires me to perform max push ups in 2 minutes without resting a max effort plank followed by a 1.5 mile run.  I also have to pass a bodyfat test that I would not pass right now. 

I plan to fully test myself this weekend to see how far off I am but I know I will need to lose 3 inches at least off my waist and I will struggle with the run. 

For the past two weeks to at least get in shape (without knowing I had to pass) I have been doing Foundations upper M/Th and Foundations Core and Lower T/Fri and daily limber when I remember. I separate that by at least 3 hours and do a cardio workout 3 times a week where I either did the rower, biked or Ran. I ran a mile yesterday but no where near the pace I will need. On top of this I started doing the Thrive and have made it to level 3. 

To me this seems as though it will be impossible but I am highly motivated now and plan to push as hard as possible so any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Thomas, the possibility to pass the test  depends on:

- when you have the test?

- what is you % of fat and how many kg you have to lose (pay attention that running can be dabgerous for knees and hips in case of over weight)

- your starting point and the minimum requirements of the test.

Thomas Docherty

Alessandro,

Thank you so much for responding. 

-The test for the Body composition and the Fitness test will be in the morning. we arrive at 7am and then the test will most likely start around 730-830. This test consists of the following. Body comp starts with weight to height, if that is failed, they do a single measurement at the top of the iliac crest which needs to be 39 inches or less, if that is failed the body fat is measured by taking a measurement of the waist at the belly button and a measurement or the neck at the Adams apple and compare this to your height. (Unfortunately based on my Highet I pretty much need to be 39.5 inches without my next getting smaller) 

-According to this test I am at 29% fat and need to be 25% (this is with a 41inch/104cm waist and 15.5inch/38cm neck) To get to 25 I need a waist under 39inch anyways so need to go from 41inch/104cm to 39/99cm in 28 days. (I am also 69 inches. and 223lb./99kg)

-Testing myself this weekend I did 51 pushups (need at least 65) and planked for about 1:15 (need at least 2:40) ran the 1.5 mile in 17:00 (need to get to 14:08).

-For my foundation levels I am currently at pushups step 5, ground row step 5, forearm plank step 5, Bent Hollow step 8, seated Russian twist step 8, tuck up step 7, assisted squat step 8. 

I really want to do the following: Cardio early AM (m/w/f running- 2 low slow, 1 400m intervals at goal pace Tues/Thurs/Sat Low impact cardio-Hill walk, rower, Bike) PM Perform my Foundations work upper on Mon/Thur and core/lower Tue/Fri. I just feel like I may not get there with this and keep cardio the same but change my strength work to just focusing on Pushups and plank and building endurance in those too. I have 28 days and need to pass this and then plan to go back to the first method as I have been feeling like I have made some progress with it and have felt great. Don't mind if that is slow but unfortunately, I had this assessment spring up on me and I have to pass to the standard set. 

I appreciate you taking the time to answer me and any help you can give. I am just hoping that this is possible in a realistic way. Deep down in my mind I figure it is not possible and I think that is also holding me back.

Alessandro Mainente
3 hours ago, Thomas Docherty said:

Alessandro,

Thank you so much for responding. 

-The test for the Body composition and the Fitness test will be in the morning. we arrive at 7am and then the test will most likely start around 730-830. This test consists of the following. Body comp starts with weight to height, if that is failed, they do a single measurement at the top of the iliac crest which needs to be 39 inches or less, if that is failed the body fat is measured by taking a measurement of the waist at the belly button and a measurement or the neck at the Adams apple and compare this to your height. (Unfortunately based on my Highet I pretty much need to be 39.5 inches without my next getting smaller) 

-According to this test I am at 29% fat and need to be 25% (this is with a 41inch/104cm waist and 15.5inch/38cm neck) To get to 25 I need a waist under 39inch anyways so need to go from 41inch/104cm to 39/99cm in 28 days. (I am also 69 inches. and 223lb./99kg)

-Testing myself this weekend I did 51 pushups (need at least 65) and planked for about 1:15 (need at least 2:40) ran the 1.5 mile in 17:00 (need to get to 14:08).

-For my foundation levels I am currently at pushups step 5, ground row step 5, forearm plank step 5, Bent Hollow step 8, seated Russian twist step 8, tuck up step 7, assisted squat step 8. 

I really want to do the following: Cardio early AM (m/w/f running- 2 low slow, 1 400m intervals at goal pace Tues/Thurs/Sat Low impact cardio-Hill walk, rower, Bike) PM Perform my Foundations work upper on Mon/Thur and core/lower Tue/Fri. I just feel like I may not get there with this and keep cardio the same but change my strength work to just focusing on Pushups and plank and building endurance in those too. I have 28 days and need to pass this and then plan to go back to the first method as I have been feeling like I have made some progress with it and have felt great. Don't mind if that is slow but unfortunately, I had this assessment spring up on me and I have to pass to the standard set. 

I appreciate you taking the time to answer me and any help you can give. I am just hoping that this is possible in a realistic way. Deep down in my mind I figure it is not possible and I think that is also holding me back.

Hi Thomas, well, loosing 5% of bodyfat in 28 days means a caloric deficit of approximately 1300 kcal each day that's really a very big deficit especailly if your basic intake is under the 3000 kcal per day.

for the pushup be sure that your form is the same of the requirements...

in order to pass the test my suggestio is to work specifically for musclee endurance..in this case EMOM is a good way..for example  you can work with 1/4 of your max reps that is 13, you can round up to 15 and perform a 10' emom first week, second week 12' and 3rd week 14' . the week of the test you are going to deload for example emom 7'.

Thomas Docherty

Yes this is great that you. I know for the weight loss it's going to be rough and unreasonable essential trying to work on a faster run and better planks and push ups. I appreciate it so much you taking the time to help it makes me feel a bit more confident I'll at least pass the fitness part.

Alessandro Mainente
9 hours ago, Thomas Docherty said:

Yes this is great that you. I know for the weight loss it's going to be rough and unreasonable essential trying to work on a faster run and better planks and push ups. I appreciate it so much you taking the time to help it makes me feel a bit more confident I'll at least pass the fitness part.

you have to find a strict good balance between all the things..