Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Started a few months ago, got hurt in 1st week - where can I go for a 'Starters FAQ'?

Leon Connelly

Leon Connelly

Hey all,

I started a few months back and really hurt my shoulder doing crab walk.  I am chomping at the bit to get back to it, but I really don't want to screw up again.

Where can beginners go to get all the download on what to do, not to do, how to approach, etc.?

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente
14 hours ago, Leon Connelly said:

Hey all,

I started a few months back and really hurt my shoulder doing crab walk.  I am chomping at the bit to get back to it, but I really don't want to screw up again.

Where can beginners go to get all the download on what to do, not to do, how to approach, etc.?

Thanks!

Hey Leon, what about the injury? there was a physical trauma or simply there was some pain the day after?

• 1 month later...
Leon Connelly

Hey, 

Thank you for the quick reply and sorry for my delayed one.

I think it was a hurt Supraspinatus in my left shoulder.  Basically me raising my left arm infront of my face like I was going to read the time on my watch hurt.  I could do it, but would have to severely slow the movement down.

I've improved, but when I sit on a chaise-like sofa, and adjust my butt by putting my hands down next to my hips to lift my torso (similar to doing the end movement of a parallel bar dip, or if you were going to do an L-sit on the floor) I feel my shoulder girdle.  I know part of it is from disuse, and hopefully I can begin again to get past that.

In talking to Support at GymFit, they said the Beginner Workout 1 through Workout 40 was a 'go at your own pace' program, but my problem is that I don't know the correct way to proceed.  As I told the support guys, "I'm sure Coach Sommer would say something like 'If you are a stud, you can do 1 a day until you are through all 40, looking for holes in your mobility' Well, I'm 50, and my mobility is shot, but I'm not sure what Coach Sommer would say in this scenario"

I haven't gotten past Workout 6 in Beginner, and it looks like GymFit has EVERYTHING I could ever want to achieve my bodyweight/gymnastic goals, but I really don't have a good plan or guideline telling me how to attack this.

Should I do 2 days on 1 off?  1 on, 1 off?  Aim for 3 workouts a week max?  Coach Sommer could probably listen to me and say "Do this until ___, and then do this next . . ."  

I am so looking to use that experience to and get ahead, because doing the first 6 workouts on my own set me back months!

Alessandro Mainente
8 minutes ago, Leon Connelly said:

Hey, 

Thank you for the quick reply and sorry for my delayed one.

I think it was a hurt Supraspinatus in my left shoulder.  Basically me raising my left arm infront of my face like I was going to read the time on my watch hurt.  I could do it, but would have to severely slow the movement down.

I've improved, but when I sit on a chaise-like sofa, and adjust my butt by putting my hands down next to my hips to lift my torso (similar to doing the end movement of a parallel bar dip, or if you were going to do an L-sit on the floor) I feel my shoulder girdle.  I know part of it is from disuse, and hopefully I can begin again to get past that.

In talking to Support at GymFit, they said the Beginner Workout 1 through Workout 40 was a 'go at your own pace' program, but my problem is that I don't know the correct way to proceed.  As I told the support guys, "I'm sure Coach Sommer would say something like 'If you are a stud, you can do 1 a day until you are through all 40, looking for holes in your mobility' Well, I'm 50, and my mobility is shot, but I'm not sure what Coach Sommer would say in this scenario"

I haven't gotten past Workout 6 in Beginner, and it looks like GymFit has EVERYTHING I could ever want to achieve my bodyweight/gymnastic goals, but I really don't have a good plan or guideline telling me how to attack this.

Should I do 2 days on 1 off?  1 on, 1 off?  Aim for 3 workouts a week max?  Coach Sommer could probably listen to me and say "Do this until ___, and then do this next . . ."  

I am so looking to use that experience to and get ahead, because doing the first 6 workouts on my own set me back months!

Fo now i would stay for twice a week...2 days off in between.

• 4 months later...
John Crocker

I recently listened to one of the old Coach Sommer podcast interviews. He said multiple times they never train through pain. If you start feeling pain in an exercise it's best to stop and lower the intensity or find a way to scale it back until it doesn't hurt. Also, I don't think the beginner program is meant as a pass or fail before moving on to Intermediate One. I think it's more of an introduction to movement and to get your body moving. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think once you do the best you can on the beginner program you can start Intermediate One. The progressions in Intermediate One actually use different exercises than in the beginner program and start out very easy.