Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What does mastery of an exercise look like?

Zimby Family

Zimby Family

Hello!

I'm currently working through the Foundation and Handstand series and have reached a point where I'm stalling on a lot of progressions. I just wanted to check that my understanding of mastery is correct -- I've been sticking with each level of an exercise until each rep (or the total duration of a static hold) of each set feels easy.

• Is it okay if a rep is done effortfully, but with good from?
  • Is full mastery necessary at each level of each exercise or is it only necessary on the last level?

Thank you!

Alessandro Mainente
15 hours ago, Zimby Family said:

Hello!

I'm currently working through the Foundation and Handstand series and have reached a point where I'm stalling on a lot of progressions. I just wanted to check that my understanding of mastery is correct -- I've been sticking with each level of an exercise until each rep (or the total duration of a static hold) of each set feels easy.

• Is it okay if a rep is done effortfully, but with good from?
  • Is full mastery necessary at each level of each exercise or is it only necessary on the last level?

Thank you!

hey Zimby, 

well...if you master something you can easily do it...i would say if you want to master 5 reps of an exercise you should be able to do 6 or even 7.

for example this is one my student training for planche press: is 5 reps mastered? well count this max rep set...look at the speed of the first 5 and so on...

the full mastery is suggested on all the level.

in case of stalling in a progression i suggest first to post a form check. if the technique is not good you are not going to use the correct muscles or exerting the strength in the proper direction. this will fall into lack of progression.

Zimby Family

That was incredibly helpful, thank you!

I'm used to the standard advice you get when lifting weights: "Do a little more every session." This approach is novel to me so I think I just need to adjust my expectations!

Alessandro Mainente
14 hours ago, Zimby Family said:

That was incredibly helpful, thank you!

I'm used to the standard advice you get when lifting weights: "Do a little more every session." This approach is novel to me so I think I just need to adjust my expectations!

well...it is like that more or less....depending on the level and on what you have done up to now...if one my students lacks of technique no matter if duting a  test he passed the mastery....he stays on the progression...no increments on set or reps.