Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Multiple progressions to intensify training

Huy Lui

Hi everyone, 

I am used to train as bodybuilder and now switch to calisthenic. My training normally lasts 2hr. First hour I work on skills and second hour focus on strength training.

for example:

Monday - Planche - Chest and dip

Tuesday - Front lever - Back and core

Now I am going to stick with guided plan from Gymnastic Bodies. I’ve answered the questionnaires and Inter 2 was recommended for me. When I look into exercises, the volume is a bit too short for me. Should I customise by adding more exercises like this:

Monday 

C6 - elevated planche lean

A7 - Single Bar Dip

A8 - Underhand Bar Dip

B9 - L chin up

B10 - L pull up

C7 - elevated planche bounce

I would love to have your opinion on this matter. 

Kind regards, 

Alessandro Mainente
9 hours ago, Huy Lui said:

Hi everyone, 

I am used to train as bodybuilder and now switch to calisthenic. My training normally lasts 2hr. First hour I work on skills and second hour focus on strength training.

for example:

Monday - Planche - Chest and dip

Tuesday - Front lever - Back and core

Now I am going to stick with guided plan from Gymnastic Bodies. I’ve answered the questionnaires and Inter 2 was recommended for me. When I look into exercises, the volume is a bit too short for me. Should I customise by adding more exercises like this:

Monday 

C6 - elevated planche lean

A7 - Single Bar Dip

A8 - Underhand Bar Dip

B9 - L chin up

B10 - L pull up

C7 - elevated planche bounce

I would love to have your opinion on this matter. 

Kind regards, 

Hey Hui, well you must completely shift the mentality from bodybuilding to strength training. Bodybuilding has a lot of low or middle intensity as average (i mean 65-70) while strength training moves drastically from 70%and above. what makes improvement is still volume, on bodybuilding the situation is better because it is still volume at low intensity. if you do lot of volume at high intensity the volume should not be too much because the stress moves to the nervous system and joints and less of muscles. more volume means more time to recover from fatigue. with years i have learned that you do not train more, you need to train better. so before ADDING, i suggest posting at least the form check of the main exercises. because if they are not done well there is no necessity to put effort on something more..

• Like 1

I did transition from bodybuilding to calisthenic and had followed program from Chris Heria while mixing some strength training styles such as 5x5.

Wednesday is spit day in GymnasticBodies. Can I mix from what I used to do, for example: 

Weighted Pull up 5x5

High Pull-up 5x5

Pull up 3 x 10

Inverted Row 3 x 10

Alessandro Mainente
1 hour ago, Huy Lui said:

I did transition from bodybuilding to calisthenic and had followed program from Chris Heria while mixing some strength training styles such as 5x5.

Wednesday is spit day in GymnasticBodies. Can I mix from what I used to do, for example: 

Weighted Pull up 5x5

High Pull-up 5x5

Pull up 3 x 10

Inverted Row 3 x 10

what is the reference intensity for the 5x5? if he did not give to you some references then the program will probably give fewer results than expected. what do i mean by results? well, my strongest student does one arm pullup +17 kg at 64kg of weight .

5 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

what is the reference intensity for the 5x5? if he did not give to you some references then the program will probably give fewer results than expected. what do i mean by results? well, my strongest student does one arm pullup +17 kg at 64kg of weight .

Wow that is awesome. How long did it take him to achieve that? 

5x5 is just my prefer method when working on strength. Normally I will add weight that make me go failure at 5 reps. Then take 2-3m break between sets. 

Alessandro Mainente
4 hours ago, Huy Lui said:

Wow that is awesome. How long did it take him to achieve that? 

5x5 is just my prefer method when working on strength. Normally I will add weight that make me go failure at 5 reps. Then take 2-3m break between sets. 

one year and a half starting with a one-arm pullup with 4 kg.

Working with 5x5 to failure means that technique is going to be affected by deficit as all things moved to failure. a 5x5 can be executed with an exercise that allows for 10 reps. if you cannot...probably the exercise is too hard.

3 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

one year and a half starting with a one-arm pullup with 4 kg.

Working with 5x5 to failure means that technique is going to be affected by deficit as all things moved to failure. a 5x5 can be executed with an exercise that allows for 10 reps. if you cannot...probably the exercise is too hard.

I see. I got your point now. I did workout from GST yesterday. Since there is no rest time between supersets, it pretty tough :)

With GST, are we just focus on pure skill and strength training? Do we have explosive exercises? 

Alessandro Mainente
12 hours ago, Huy Lui said:

I see. I got your point now. I did workout from GST yesterday. Since there is no rest time between supersets, it pretty tough :)

With GST, are we just focus on pure skill and strength training? Do we have explosive exercises? 

Explosive exercises can be done only with a high level of basic strength. if you are new to this system then inserting explosive movement should be your last problem.

when a high level of strength is built up you can insert bodyweight explosive movement. my student who has the weighted pullup (the one with 17 kg) can do a muscle up with 30 kg without even training it...why? high level of basic strength.

Olympic lifters do a clean and jerk with 200 kg at 84-85 kg BW but they have deadlift with 320-340 kg and squat with 300 kg. the higher the maximal strength the higher the possibility to train safety the explosive movement.

everything else is you and your trainer accepting a higher risk of injury.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Explosive exercises can be done only with a high level of basic strength. if you are new to this system then inserting explosive movement should be your last problem.

when a high level of strength is built up you can insert bodyweight explosive movement. my student who has the weighted pullup (the one with 17 kg) can do a muscle up with 30 kg without even training it...why? high level of basic strength.

Olympic lifters do a clean and jerk with 200 kg at 84-85 kg BW but they have deadlift with 320-340 kg and squat with 300 kg. the higher the maximal strength the higher the possibility to train safety the explosive movement.

everything else is you and your trainer accepting a higher risk of injury.

That makes sense. Thank you very much for clarification. I understand gymnastic is a whole totally spectrum compared to normal workouts. 

This is my 2nd day with GST. I don’t have access to stall bar, therefore I remove C7 and add C5 instead. I can do toes to bar but with back lean backward and I think it is incorrect movement.