Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Weighted pull-ups

Jin Liu

I’m excited that I can again do some weighted pull-ups after rehabbing a shoulder injury for over a year. I’m even pulling more than before now! I did 2 at 53# (or 24kg) at 117# bodyweight (the best I did before was 45#, and that was years ago). Then I tried 70#. The start felt good, but I can’t close the elbows. I’m wondering what muscles are lacking from that point on to finish all the way to the top? Thanks in advance!

Edit link:

https://youtube.com/shorts/AZQddMgAIBk?feature=share

Alessandro Mainente
On 10/31/2021 at 1:10 AM, Jin Liu said:

I’m excited that I can again do some weighted pull-ups after rehabbing a shoulder injury for over a year. I’m even pulling more than before now! I did 2 at 53# (or 24kg) at 117# bodyweight (the best I did before was 45#, and that was years ago). Then I tried 70#. The start felt good, but I can’t close the elbows. I’m wondering what muscles are lacking from that point on to finish all the way to the top? Thanks in advance!

Edit link:

https://youtube.com/shorts/AZQddMgAIBk?feature=share

hey Jin they are a good attempt...my suggestion is to focus on technique, at the moment you are pulling with the elbows rather than the shoulder. in the long term, this leads to shoulder overloading, functional overloading, and possible injury. the time should be shoulder depression first without bending at the elbows, then the upper arm is moved down.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 6:43 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

hey Jin they are a good attempt...my suggestion is to focus on technique, at the moment you are pulling with the elbows rather than the shoulder. in the long term, this leads to shoulder overloading, functional overloading, and possible injury. the time should be shoulder depression first without bending at the elbows, then the upper arm is moved down.

Thank you Alessandro! Always great advice. I will focus on depressing the shoulders before the pull. In fact I just tried a few with bodyweight, and I can feel different muscle engagement at the initiation, and the difference in body posture when finishing at the top. With shoulder depressed, the chest finished higher on the top with better muscle engagement =]

Alessandro Mainente
8 minutes ago, Jin Liu said:

Thank you Alessandro! Always great advice. I will focus on depressing the shoulders before the pull. In fact I just tried a few with bodyweight, and I can feel different muscle engagement at the initiation, and the difference in body posture when finishing at the top. With shoulder depressed, the chest finished higher on the top with better muscle engagement =]

You will find a great carryover on front lever...

• Like 1