Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stretch Series sequences

Damien Walsh

Damien Walsh

Hi,

I'm relatively new to Gymasticbodies, and plan to integrate some of the program around other training for a half marathon and weightlifting.

For the last few years, I've been managing arthritis in my left hip. My doctor felt a hip replacement was the solution (I'm 45!) but since then I've searched for alternative ways to combat it and found nutrition, strengthening and stretching are key to alleviating any pain so far, so I'm really excited to see what this program can do for me. Currently I'm relatively fit for my age, though plenty of room to improve, especially with my mobility.

I have two questions in relation to the Stretch series.

1. I read that the Two Stretch Series sequences should only be done once a week, so deep tissues have time to rebuild. 
Does this mean intense leg exercises (deadlifts/squats/ running etc) should be avoided too during the recovery time?

2. Should I have any concern about pushing the boundaries of deep stretching with arthritis in one hip? 
I am mindful not to do anything that hurts but wonder what the general consensus is on benefits or not from deep stretching for arthritis.

Thanks,
Damien

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, Damien Walsh said:

Hi,

I'm relatively new to Gymasticbodies, and plan to integrate some of the program around other training for a half marathon and weightlifting.

For the last few years, I've been managing arthritis in my left hip. My doctor felt a hip replacement was the solution (I'm 45!) but since then I've searched for alternative ways to combat it and found nutrition, strengthening and stretching are key to alleviating any pain so far, so I'm really excited to see what this program can do for me. Currently I'm relatively fit for my age, though plenty of room to improve, especially with my mobility.

I have two questions in relation to the Stretch series.

1. I read that the Two Stretch Series sequences should only be done once a week, so deep tissues have time to rebuild. 
Does this mean intense leg exercises (deadlifts/squats/ running etc) should be avoided too during the recovery time?

2. Should I have any concern about pushing the boundaries of deep stretching with arthritis in one hip? 
I am mindful not to do anything that hurts but wonder what the general consensus is on benefits or not from deep stretching for arthritis.

Thanks,
Damien

HI Damien, well i can say that deadlifts are very taxing on CNS but not too much on muscles as metabolic effort. Squat a bit more let on CNS and more on hips and muscles due to the depth f the movement itself. MY suggestion in your case is to perform big lifts before the stretching session in the week so that the joint has not been already taxed on the connective tissues. Also, wait 2-3 days before doing the big lifts after the stretching session.

For the second question i do not have an answer for you. for sure having balanced muscle tension and holding the correct joints alignment can be a good way for alleviating pain.