• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

volume

Jan Smekens

Jan Smekens

Hey guys

Quick question:

Say I'm at the point where I've just started doing L Bulgarian pull ups and Russian dips and I can only do singles or doubles for 3 to 5 sets like the template suggests. I would only be doing 5 to 6 reps of that specific progression in the workout. It seems logical to add additional reps from an easier progression to gather enough volume. How would and do you approach this?

Edited by Jan Smekens

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Jan, at this point of the progression people are enough "undertrained" that there is no necessity for additional vertical pulling workout sets. Consider that my students train and achieve one arm pullup with an average number of sets of 7 to 10 in a week.

Specific additional work can be considered in case of asymmetrical movement..but this falls in the individual schedule and it is not an average suggestion.

Jan Smekens

Thanks for your reply, Alex.

Okay, but it wouldn't hurt either to add a couple of medium rep sets of regular pbar dips and pull ups, just for the sake of volume => hypertrophy. Or am I completely wrong about this?

Alessandro Mainente
20 hours ago, Jan Smekens said:

Thanks for your reply, Alex.

Okay, but it wouldn't hurt either to add a couple of medium rep sets of regular pbar dips and pull ups, just for the sake of volume => hypertrophy. Or am I completely wrong about this?

This does make substantial sense because:

- on the worlds of strength there are more people using the terms "hypertrophy" rather than the number of them who respect tempo, rest period, recovery, nutrition etc;

- hypertrophy is harder than you think and using a rep range for inducing hypertrophy with the aim of increasing muscle mass is not enough.

- inducing hypertrophy in bodyweight training means reducing the relative strength that means becoming weaker.

In the last 2 years and a half i did one body recomposition passing from 90 kg to 70kg, then one bulk with GST movement of one long year where you pass half of the time on racing the point where your body gains to build up muscles....then i moved back at 73 kg...

it takes a very long time. working in the hypertrophy range won't give you more muscle mass. you need to focus on a much more accurate schedule for this goal.

As stated until completion of foundations 4 you do not need additional volume first it should be planned.