Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Programming- foundations or the book BTGB

David Byrne

Hello all,
I’ve just signed up but am unsure about my programming in Foundations. 

until now I’ve been working from coaches book Building the gymnastics body’. In it he states you should choose a different push,pull, leg, and core exercise each day to work each plane of motion. I’ve also paired each body weight movement with a progression from the fundamental static positions. 
My current training looks like this: 

1- bk lever - L chin, planche-Hespu, fr lever- pistol squat, l sit- leg lift 

2- bk lever - xr Bulgarian row, planche - xr Bulgarian push up, fr lever weighted lunges , l sit 1/2 wipers

3- bk lever- curl, planche- pb dip, fr lever - weighted squats, l sit - body lever

So for example you can see I cover one pull one row and one curl each week. 

However, fundamentals splits upper and lower and appears to be more linear in its progressions- working on just one plane of motion within say push and pull. 

I like that my current training over 3 days allows time for other sports etc  and covers a range of skills. But fundamentals would take 4 days and cover less planes of motion. 

So really my question is: which structure is better or Is one superior? Is there a reason you should choose one or the other.  Or does it come down to individual goals/ abilities? 

thanks, 

Dave

Alessandro Mainente

Hi David, i have started with GtGB back on 2009. It was good but not suited for my level, GtGB is suited for an intermediate+.

In 2011 after my first seminar with Coach Sommer, i started to implement foundations work and this was the key for strength, strong joint, and injury prevention.

Thank you Alessandro for your reply. I think you are right. I’ve decided I need to lose my ego and go back to building a strong foundation from the beginning. The more I’ve looked at foundations the more I can see the logic behind it. When I see that Bulgarian ring rows are on level 1 and I’m struggling with them but also working on l sit chin ups I realise there are big gaps in my strength that I must address. 

I think I’ve been caught up in the current trend of trying to much too soon- wanting quick results. I’m going right back to the beginning to work on my foundation and mobility... a long exciting road ahead of me! 

• Like 3