Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Early morning training

Joe Cox

I'm now into part 2 of the Thrive nutrition program, step 13. It discusses nutrient timing, and says that the afternoon is the optimal time to train. However, I'm up at 5:00 am, do my gst, work all day (a pretty physical job), and train krav maga twice a week in the evenings. I just know I probably won't get to my gst in the afternoon otherwise, especially on krav days. Am I hindering my results by training early in the morning?

Alessandro Mainente
17 hours ago, Joe Cox said:

I'm now into part 2 of the Thrive nutrition program, step 13. It discusses nutrient timing, and says that the afternoon is the optimal time to train. However, I'm up at 5:00 am, do my gst, work all day (a pretty physical job), and train krav maga twice a week in the evenings. I just know I probably won't get to my gst in the afternoon otherwise, especially on krav days. Am I hindering my results by training early in the morning?

HI Joe, i think that if are not quite advanced or intermediate it does not make a substantial difference. Discussing optimal  timing is fine...if someone can do that.

• 8 months later...

But, should I continue to work out in the morning before breakfast, or should I either take in some carbs before training or simply try to force an afternoon workout.  Also, if I work out in the morning while fasted, wouldn't it be best to eat a more balanced meal, like the thrive lunch plan, vs only protein and fat? I know there's gonna be the "whatever works best for you " generic answers, but scientifically and from experience, which plan would seem most effective? I just don't seem to have time to workout if I don't get it done early. 

Thanks

Alessandro Mainente
13 hours ago, Joe Cox said:

But, should I continue to work out in the morning before breakfast, or should I either take in some carbs before training or simply try to force an afternoon workout.  Also, if I work out in the morning while fasted, wouldn't it be best to eat a more balanced meal, like the thrive lunch plan, vs only protein and fat? I know there's gonna be the "whatever works best for you " generic answers, but scientifically and from experience, which plan would seem most effective? I just don't seem to have time to workout if I don't get it done early. 

Thanks

Hi Joe i do not really have an answer for you, you must try, track sensations like fatigue, energy level, and then adjust. Coches do exactly like that, they try basing especially on the logistic of the single athlete. I have students who cannot train without a pre-workout due to the lack of energy,, for example, i train without eating a pre-workout and i eat a 10% of my daily intake after the workout.