Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Strength plateau / Cannot straighten arms from a bent-arm stand

Awais Muzaffar

Awais Muzaffar

I've been trying for months to push out from a frog-stand to a straight-arm handstand but something (probably a lack of strength in a particular area) is preventing from doing so:

Video 1 - I can just about get into a frog-stand and get into a bent-arm stand, but observe my shoulders sink a little but, and I'm literally using all the strength that I have possible to hold my arms at a 90 degree angle. I find this extremly tough to hold.

Video 2 - In this one when I try to bring my hips more over my shoulders, I try to push up but fail and crash down.

This is on-going and I don't know how to get out of it. I've purchased the foundation course and thinking about starting from Level 2 - I've seen Level 3 has the HeSPU but I'm afraid I'll be stuck on that even after the progressions as something is not clicking about this transition.

In terms of general pushing strength here is a dips video. I'm also doing pike push-ups and HSPU (chest-to-wall). I can press a 32kg kettlebell 1-2 reps on each arm.

Thanks for reading.

Awais

Alessandro Mainente
13 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

I've been trying for months to push out from a frog-stand to a straight-arm handstand but something (probably a lack of strength in a particular area) is preventing from doing so:

Video 1 - I can just about get into a frog-stand and get into a bent-arm stand, but observe my shoulders sink a little but, and I'm literally using all the strength that I have possible to hold my arms at a 90 degree angle. I find this extremly tough to hold.

Video 2 - In this one when I try to bring my hips more over my shoulders, I try to push up but fail and crash down.

This is on-going and I don't know how to get out of it. I've purchased the foundation course and thinking about starting from Level 2 - I've seen Level 3 has the HeSPU but I'm afraid I'll be stuck on that even after the progressions as something is not clicking about this transition.

In terms of general pushing strength here is a dips video. I'm also doing pike push-ups and HSPU (chest-to-wall). I can press a 32kg kettlebell 1-2 reps on each arm.

Thanks for reading.

Awais

Hi Aways, you must work on foundations but not form level 2 for sure. The biggest mistake in your execution is the elbows positioning that pass from parallel forearms to elbows to the side. Learning WHERE the elbows must stay is something that you learn from foundations 1...is it too easy for you? no problem...you can show me the mastery. Strength is a brain education, the elbows positioning at this stage should be already be understood..

Awais Muzaffar

Hi Alessandro, many thanks for your reply. When you say:

The biggest mistake in your execution is the elbows positioning that pass from parallel forearms to elbows to the side

Do you mean that that my elbows are flaring to the sides and are not pointed more back?

I'm happy to start from Level 1 as per your advice, I'll get some videos of that posted later. It would be good to iron the positioning mistakes early on.

Many thanks,

Edited by Awais Muzaffar

Alessandro Mainente
12 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hi Alessandro, many thanks for your reply. When you say:

Do you mean that that my elbows are flaring to the sides and are not pointed more back?

I'm happy to start from Level 1 as per your advice, I'll get some videos of that posted later. It would be good to iron the positioning mistakes early on.

Many thanks,

yes, you got the mistake....