Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tight Neck Preventing Any Progress

Carson Saporta

Carson Saporta

I've been working through the intro program for a couple months now, but am still stuck on the first segment without any progress because my extremely tight neck prevents me from activating any of the correct muscle groups for any of the exercises. My neck doesn't hurt per se, but always feels like it needs to crack. The same is true for my thoracic spine, though I realize t-spine and neck issues are very interrelated. 

I find myself in a catch-22: I need movement to release my neck and t-spine, but my tight neck and t-spine prevent me from moving without sacrificing posture or using incorrect muscle groups to compensate for the tight ones. When I'm working through the exercises, any real degree of exertion (e.g., pushing my hips off the floor for crab or using bands for shoulder/lat exercises) just increases the feeling that my neck needs to crack without any sensation of using or releasing the muscles targeted by the exercise.

The instructions say that it should take about two to three weeks to work through each segment of the intro course, but as I've now been working for two or three months and have seen no progress, I figured I should ask for some help. Thank you in advance.

Alessandro Mainente
13 hours ago, Carson Saporta said:

I've been working through the intro program for a couple months now, but am still stuck on the first segment without any progress because my extremely tight neck prevents me from activating any of the correct muscle groups for any of the exercises. My neck doesn't hurt per se, but always feels like it needs to crack. The same is true for my thoracic spine, though I realize t-spine and neck issues are very interrelated. 

I find myself in a catch-22: I need movement to release my neck and t-spine, but my tight neck and t-spine prevent me from moving without sacrificing posture or using incorrect muscle groups to compensate for the tight ones. When I'm working through the exercises, any real degree of exertion (e.g., pushing my hips off the floor for crab or using bands for shoulder/lat exercises) just increases the feeling that my neck needs to crack without any sensation of using or releasing the muscles targeted by the exercise.

The instructions say that it should take about two to three weeks to work through each segment of the intro course, but as I've now been working for two or three months and have seen no progress, I figured I should ask for some help. Thank you in advance.

Hi Carson, well the neck is a very sensible region of the body and we should not force it. Personally, i would check for a PT opinion only for your personal security. Then if you do not have problem or restriction you can begin to train mentally free.