Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tell us about the seminar!

Neal Winkler

Erik Sjolin
Hampton Inn here. The one suggested under the seminar info.

...I guess I should really read that, shouldn't I. :oops: :roll: :(

Joshua Naterman
Hampton Inn here. The one suggested under the seminar info.

The hampton is amazing! Definitely the place to stay.

Joshua Naterman
I was wondering what kind of extras should be brought/allowed in the gym? Things like a notepad or supplements?

I would definitely bring a notebook, you will need it, and something to write with. Also bring food. Snacks are key! I always have protein powder, fruit, often half a chicken, and who knows what else. There is a really nice break room for that sort of thing, so no worries about starving or being snackless.

John Cook

I'm glad I checked this thread as you've just answered a couple question I had about the seminar Josh. Food always seems to be on the forefront of my mind and I was already contemplating exactly how I would feed my punk ass throughout the days events!! Rather than stuffing my entire supplement cabinet into my suitcase I think I'll bring the basics and hit up a grocery store when I get there on Friday.

I've read through virtually every thread regarding the seminars and it seems that a common theme is to meet up with everyone on friday night at the Tilted Kilt. Hangin out a bit and meeting some of the attendees beforehand sounds like a great idea... hopefully something of that order is in the cards for May 25th!! Anyway- I arrive in Phoenix around 2pm friday and after I find transport to the hotel (maybe supershuttle) i'll be heading straight for some grub then the pool... unless anyone has some other ideas!! I've never been to Scottsdale but it looks as though it would'nt be too difficult to subject myself to some ungodly physcial brutality out in the desert hiking/climbing!!!... I would be interested to read any input on a typical itinerary for friday evening and the afternoons after the seminars if any previous attendees have the time-

Take care all! - cook

yuri marmerstein

That sounds like a great plan, I would love to do some extra-curricular activities during the down time.

Also, anyone interested in splitting a hotel room?

Josh Schmitter

Would take you up on that if you're hitting up September as well as that's as soon as I can get to one :).

Hope all have a great time, I will be there soon enough...well at least that's what I keep telling myself.

yuri marmerstein

Would take you up on that if you're hitting up September as well as that's as soon as I can get to one :).

Hope all have a great time, I will be there soon enough...well at least that's what I keep telling myself.

Possibly, but I will worry about the september seminar later

right now looking to save a bit money for the may seminar

John Cook

Heading out to this seminar in a couple weeks will be a welcome diversion from my usual day to day grind.... Having passed up a six day "just for fun" vacation in Cancun the week before this coming seminar I am all about maximizing my time in Coach's gym... but outside in the sun as well. As I'm not entirely certain what insane physical challenges will most certainly befall me at the hands of Coach; I may find myself limping back to the hotel to tend to my wounds rendering me useless for anything else!! I DO tend to be a glutton for punishment though.... only time will tell if my ambition exceeds my abilities!!!

• 2 weeks later...
yuri marmerstein

One more question:

Will we have time at all to play around at the gym outside of the scheduled sessions?

Nic Branson

What are the room rates typically going for ? Planning ahead myself for September hopefully.

Nic- I booked about a month ago for this coming seminar and the rate was $59.00. Not sure what room tax and misc. fees will be assessed at checkout but still this is a great price considering what rates the Hampton Inn website gave me when I checked. When I called I just mentioned Gymnastic Bodies to get the group rate- John

not cool! i missed out the last melbourne australia seminar :cry: . and the next australia seminar is in canberra >_>.

Samuel Carr

So I just want to make sure my phone is displaying the characters correctly. Saturday is 1:30pm-5:00pm. Sunday is 9:00am-5:00pm. Monday is 10:00am-1:00pm. Is this right?

Kit Laughlin

In one word? Awesome!

Next word? Humbling.

A bit of background: at the Monkey Gym, we have been using the BtGB protocol out of the book, relatively unsystematically, for about two years. We thought we were making some progress (10 B dips on the rings, for example, partial FLs and a few guys good BLs); reasonable MSHs, etc.

But attending the recent GB seminar in Scottsdale exposed my weaknesses perfectly, and while I prefer to be able to do things, I am more interested in doing them well—so it's back to basics for me. This is the # one and # two lesson from the workshop that I can still feel in my body today: form is everything, and easier versions have to be nailed before progressing. All my MG trainees want to work on the rings, but the fact is we need substantial conditioning in the floor elements for some time before we can really benefit from the ring work, I now realise. (I will except the low ring work; we will definitely continue to do these elements, but from a FSAS/FBAS perspective.)

The rope climbing module was worth the price of admission for me: infinitely scalable for my students. All the FSAS and FBAS elements—many of which I had never seen—are pure gold.

For me personally, I found a fundamental lack of dynamic flexibility in my own body; and this will be the focus of my own training between now and when we host Coach in Australia in July. (Side note: the proprioceptors come in two basic types; position-dependent, and time- and position-dependent; both have to be worked.)

I am so grateful to Coach (and Jeff and Allan) for taking us through the real basics: this is what most of us really need, and need to be able to do perfectly. These routines expose weaknesses in strength and flexibility that (IMHO) really have to be experienced to be believed. The new format worked very well, and I sincerely appreciated being able to contribute a short module on how to stretch problem areas, too.

The last point I want to make is how grateful I was to be able to work with Yuri (thanks for those band mobility exercises, man: we worked through these last night with Coach's senior students and they loved them); big Paul (thanks for the body work) and Matt and John C (great conversations), and Misty, the world-standard kettlebell lifter (conversations and an interesting arm problem!) and way too many others to mention by name.

The best workshop I have attended. See you all at the next one.

• Upvote 1

yuri marmerstein

I'm so glad I was able to go to the seminar. Amazing weekend that flew by way too fast. I would have loved to keep going with everything.

It has been a while since I've been this motivated to train and keep perfecting everything down to the last detail. I've always been pretty stringent on perfecting the basics but now I am going to be relentless. My students are going to hate me.

Coach and Kit: you guys are a rare breed. It is hard to find people who truly have a passion for what they do. Pretty much everyone I've worked for have always been businessmen deep down, with money being the primary concern. You two first and foremost care about the quality of your product and what can be produced from it.

It's also amazing to see someone with the knowledge and experience you guys have still learning, streamlining your knowledge and perfecting your art. I am very grateful for the opportunity to be able to learn from you both. Until the next time...

To everyone else(too many to list): It's awesome to see people who give a shit about what they do. Most people go through things spinning their wheels, whether it's a job or an exercise program, they do the same thing constantly and never improve. When people try something new they want instant gratification and fail to accept that to be decent at anything most people will need several years of consistent practice.

I get asked all the time about strength, handstands, physique, etc and what I do for it. I love to help and teach people but I hate to waste my time teaching someone who is not willing to put the work in.

It was great to meet a whole group of people who are willing to put the work in.

You'll be seeing me around

• Upvote 1

Mats Trane

Coach and Kit: you guys are a rare breed. It is hard to find people who truly have a passion for what they do. Pretty much everyone I've worked for have always been businessmen deep down, with money being the primary concern. You two first and foremost care about the quality of your product and what can be produced from it.

It's also amazing to see someone with the knowledge and experience you guys have still learning, streamlining your knowledge and perfecting your art. I am very grateful for the opportunity to be able to learn from you both.

This is so true!

I guess thats why we get ourselfs expensive airplane tickets and travel half way around the world, to get the best!

Yuri you nailed it with that comment.

It's the same reason this is the only 'program' I can support 100%.

Ian Legrow

still kind of bums me out that i probably wont be able to go to one of these for like 2 years

Joshua Naterman

I know, I was sad that I couldn't get out this time... stupid Maymester.

Scott Malin

You were certainly missed by a few people. Hope we can see you in September!

Joshua Naterman

I think so! No way can I miss two in a row, it is just always such a good experience... Sounds like it got even better!

Josh Schmitter

I think so! No way can I miss two in a row, it is just always such a good experience... Sounds like it got even better!

Well, I hate to be selfish(notwithstanding that it is at the core of our most foundational level), but that just leaves more Slizz for us at the September seminar :).

Joshua Naterman

HAHAHA!!! Yes, and I'll have nutritional information to share as well. Coach and I are beginning to put that together now, though at the moment that hinges heavily on me finishing the typing. I'm about half-way done with the rough draft right now, hoping to have the full draft in his inbox this weekend :)

Hey guys. Just signed up for the July Australia seminar. Super excited!

Just wanted to get an idea on the material that's presented. Should I prepare to take as many notes as possible during the seminar? Are materials provided? I have a terrible memory and since the days are mostly hands-on I'm concerned I'm going to forget a bunch of stuff

• Coach Sommer unpinned this topic