Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tell us about the seminar!

Neal Winkler

You could try posting a thread in the forum in community perhaps trying to see what sort of possibility it would be to run a seminar in Singapore. This is how the seminars in Australia and Spain came about.

• 1 month later...
Tyler Phillips

Alright, so if I wasn't excited earlier today for the seminar in May 2012, I'm compulsively back tucking at the prospect of it now. :mrgreen:

I was originally going to make a topic about this but reading this sticky I think I'll just post it here. So on a whim I looked at the price for the seminars and saw that they were not only discounted but that they are far enough away that I could easily save up for the total associated costs for them. What I wanted to ask for was the board's help in planning for the trip. Here are my questions:

Am I correct in assuming that to attend all three days that the seminar fee must be paid three times over? Originally I was only going to pay for one but I have to say you all have made the intermediate and advanced days quite convincing, and if it really is worth it despite my perceived lower level then I'll dive in smiling.

What would the best way be to go about getting there? I'm assuming by plane, and this morning I looked at flights that would take me from here to there ("here" being BWI Airport in Baltimore), and most trips that I saw had me arriving in Phoenix. I looked around and saw that there was another airport right in Scottsdale, but on the website it said that it doesn't fly commercial flights, only charters for business trips (yet it mentioned that it was a great flight choice for "vacationers" so I'm confused...). The website did mention something about direct flights to Reagen International Airport which is down in DC, and I'd have no problem going down there if it meant a direct flight and less hassle. So I guess my sub-questions here are: Can I take flights into Scottsdale Airport? And what would be the best way to go about getting from the airport to the recommended hotel (especially if I had to take a plane to Phoenix). Heck, if anybody would be willing to let me carpool with them on the way to the hotel I would greatly appreciate it too. :D

How far is the hotel from the gym? I looked on Google and it looked like a mile or so in walking distance from the hotel. Is that feasible, or do I need to save money for a cab or something? This is especially a concern for when the seminar days are over and I'll have to walk back sore and tired.

How much am I looking to save up for here overall? Here's what I'm looking at roughly:

Seminar Price: $350 x 3 = $1050

Hotel Price: $59 x 4 = $236

Flight (assuming to Phoenix, on the conservative end): $500

Buffer Money for potential cab: $75

Miscellaneous cash for shenanigans/emergencies: $100

Final costs for that come out at a little under 2 grand if I'm being a bit conservative. Is that about right? Anything else I forgot to take into account?

I'm really excited about all this, and would love to attend this thing and gain newfound knowledge from everyone there. However, I've never done anything like this before in terms of saving up for what's essentially in my mind an adult gymnastics equivalent of Space Camp (that is, it looks like the coolest thing among coolest things :lol:). This is also my first time flying on my own, checking into a hotel on my own, heck I've never even used a cab before, so this is a lot of steps for me to take here. Any help I could get from you all to make this thing happen would mean a lot to me. Thanks again!

Gavin Strelitz

I was thinking of doing two days of the Seminar here in Australia, but they were so good I decided to do the third day as well. I think you should as well.

Don't be too concerned over your current ability. The amount of information you will be exposed to, as well as all the cool people, is the important part.

It looks like you have your budget correct (might throw in some dollars for food and beverage) and if this is the first time flying and travelling on your own, you're in for a great experience.

Tyler Phillips

Very well, three days it is then (if nothing else I have no qualms about giving more support to the program).

Another question that entered my mind is how far in advance I would need to reserve the hotel rooms, how far I'm even able to reserve them for that matter. I assume for plane tickets the answer is as soon as possible but for the hotel I don't know as much (once again, I'm only just now starting to get the chance to do these things now that I'm graduating college). Would ASAP also be a correct answer?

EEESH!

See if you can coordinate with someone to share a room.

Train may be cheaper but if you plan far enough out your flight may get cheaper too.

100 bucks for 3 days of eating? Dunno about that.

Tyler Phillips

Very good points... looking at the train schedules there is no direct route from here to Arizona. In a short search, all trips have me going to DC, then Chicago, staying overnight, and then going to Flagstaff where I'd have to take a bus to get into either Phoenix or Scottsdale. And the price one way is around $240-250, whereas the prices I was seeing for flights were ~$400 for round trip, no transfers. I'm thinking flight is the way to go for travel here.

As for sharing a room I think that's a fine idea... but I don't know who to ask. :oops:

Now for food, that would generally be covered by what I keep on my person at all times, with the $100 shenanigans money being a supplement to that. Granted, being at a training seminar for 3 days I'll want more calorie intake to help facilitate recovery and growth, so more money on that front will definitely be factored in.

Again, one thing I'm still wondering about is the distance from the gym to the hotel, as well as my destination distance from the hotel. I figured with people having done the seminar already (I assume at least some of you stayed at the hotel) there would be some insight to this.

Joshua Naterman

The hotel is 1 mile from the gym and has a shuttle that goes there each morning, as well as having a number of people who rent cars so that won't be a problem. Your best bet from the airport to the hotel is the SuperShuttle, it only costs around 25 bucks each way so 50 total. MUCH cheaper than a cab! Of course, if you rent a car it's about a 30 minute drive.

Mark Bernacchi

Hey Tyler,

I was in a similar position to you for the past September seminar, I ended up just taking a super shuttle to the hotel and I just bummed a ride from a helpful seminar member for the way back! I recommend figuring out how to get back to the airport once you are there because there are many people heading back to the airport between Monday evening and Tuesday morning.

The extra money you are planning to bring is definitely good because I ended up spending much more on food than expected simply because of how much of an appetite was worked up each day :mrgreen: , but at the same time a solid breakfast is provided which was nice.

For the most part I don't think people really had to spend much money on anything other than food while there. The hotel provides transportation to any place within 10 minutes and we found that they can be willing to transport further if you have a big group of people at your back 8)

Tyler Phillips

Great news all around! That settles the last of the variables with this thing, and it's very good to hear about the shuttles for the area (especially from Phoenix). All I have to do now is assemble the proper funds and I'll be seeing some cool people in the hot west. Thanks so much to everyone for the help with this, it means a lot and it'll be put to good use. D'ahh, so excited now! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...

i really really really hope that i can go to these at some point in the future, but right now there is just no money right now. oh well, keep training!

:)

-Ian

Tax return. That's pretty what I used when I went out. I'm interested in going again but we'll see and hopefully other things don't come up. Now, that I'm not coaching that might not be so much of an issue.

Then again, I'll probably end up coaching again sometime next year.

• 1 month later...
Josh Schmitter

Good and bad news for me. I was planning on booking a flight this weekend for the May seminar coming up, but after reading this thread, I have decided to hold out for the September one....that is, there is going to be a September one this year correct? I know it's not up in the store, but it is a little early. Anyway, I would only be able to hit 1 day if I went in May and I now know that is not the best idea. Any news about the September seminar(mainly reassurance that there will be one :)) would be much appreciated. I've waited this long...but waiting until NEXT May might just put me under :).

Coach implied there would be one in the Certification thread. I'm pretty sure elsewhere as well. Nothing to worry about. It's Labor Day weekend.

Josh Schmitter
Coach implied there would be one in the Certification thread. I'm pretty sure elsewhere as well. Nothing to worry about. It's Labor Day weekend.

Thanks much. Do you think it's a problem to PM him to get the exact dates(as in Sat-Mon, or Fri-Sun, etc.) or would it be better to wait a bit? Don't want to bother someone who I'm sure is already bothered enough with less than apt semantic queries. I just want to get everything in order as soon as possible.

Josh Schmitter
September's seminar typically has been Sat-Mon since Labor Day falls on a Monday.

Gorgeous. Gratitude abounds.

• 2 months later...
Joshua Chan

Hello everyone!!

I'm a little confused between the Seminar, the actual one, and the workshops. When I go into the Seminar portion of the website, $ items come up but they all have the same information on it. Which one is the 3 day seminar you all attended, the one in may and November or September-July?? Thanks for your help. I really want to go this year and I'm planning of bringing two other person with me.

Scott Malin
Hello everyone!!

I'm a little confused between the Seminar, the actual one, and the workshops. When I go into the Seminar portion of the website, $ items come up but they all have the same information on it. Which one is the 3 day seminar you all attended, the one in may and November or September-July?? Thanks for your help. I really want to go this year and I'm planning of bringing two other person with me.

All the available seminars a 3-day ones, hence the same description.

The three-day seminars are what we've all been talking about. Originally they were only held at Coach's facility in Arizona. Lately he's also been doing them Internationally when requested. They are all essentially the same.

There are also some one day specialty seminars, but they aren't on the schedule right now.

Joshua Chan

Thanks for he replies. So the workshops are some other thing?? Thats my question. Everytime I click on the seminar, the information that comes up is about the workshops, the information that used to be there is gone. There used to be a detailed description of each day of the seminar.

What you see are the same seminars, Coach has rewritten the description to better reflect the current curriculum is all. There is still a day by day description.

Joshua Chan
What you see are the same seminars, Coach has rewritten the description to better reflect the current curriculum is all. There is still a day by day description.

Oh ok. I get it now. Thanks Cole

Scott Malin

Oh ok. I get it now. Thanks Cole

The three day ones will cover balance, mobility, fundamental straight arm strength, fundamental bent arm strength, dynamic strength, and all the associated mobility and prehabilitation. The workshops are a one day deal that cover a single topic.

• 3 weeks later...
Erik Sjolin

I figure I should probably ask since the May seminar is coming up soon; where's everybody staying? It'd be cool if we were all in the same area. :)

• Coach Sommer unpinned this topic