Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Introduction - Motivations and Questions

Phil Waddell

Phil Waddell

Hi there GST Community,

First of all, posting on a forum is making me nostalgic for the good old days circa 2007 when I was active on Parkour forums in a big way, and that's a nice feeling :)

I just wanted to introduce myself and ask what is probably a common question: I'm coming to GST having known about it for some time, and having dabbled in rings training and gymnastics as a university undergrad. Back then, I was able to muscle up, ring handstand, rope climb with straight straddled legs and side lever. I was working towards planche and had some basic tumbling (back handspring, back somersault etc). 

Then sedentary life happened. 

Over the years (I'm now 31) I've lost most of those movements, aside from a shaky muscle up, a sketchy banana handstand and a sloppy back somersault, if I do say so myself. I imagine those were probably on their way out too, and in a couple of years I'd join the ranks of the 'carved from stone' office workers we all fear. But a couple of things have happened this year.

1) I injured my back (L4-L5 herniated disc) and suffered severe sciatica and loss of mobility in my lower back/body. I've spent about 8 weeks recovering now and am back to about 75% original fitness with this injury. But stiff, sore and not keen on allowing it to happen again. 

2) My fiancée and I discovered we were pregnant with our first child - due April next year.

So, not wanting to be one of those dads who can't play with his kid because he has a bad back, and thinking kids will enjoy a parents who can cartwheel and handstand more than one who lives under a squat rack; I've returned to GST and am beginning from scratch. That's the Foundation Level, from the start, with no shortcuts. I'm excited to begin (I'm a month in now) and count myself lucky that I'm not in worse shape.

I hope to provide updates on my progress once I've worked through the Foundation Course, and am excited to follow the community of GST on this forum.

And now to my question, which I'm sure has been discussed elsewhere:

"Is it recommended to avoid any weight training or supplementary exercises in a gym while working on F1-F4?"

Thanks, I look forward to being motivated by you all.

Edited by Phil Waddell

Alessandro Mainente
10 hours ago, Phil Waddell said:

Hi there GST Community,

First of all, posting on a forum is making me nostalgic for the good old days circa 2007 when I was active on Parkour forums in a big way, and that's a nice feeling :)

I just wanted to introduce myself and ask what is probably a common question: I'm coming to GST having known about it for some time, and having dabbled in rings training and gymnastics as a university undergrad. Back then, I was able to muscle up, ring handstand, rope climb with straight straddled legs and side lever. I was working towards planche and had some basic tumbling (back handspring, back somersault etc). 

Then sedentary life happened. 

Over the years (I'm now 31) I've lost most of those movements, aside from a shaky muscle up, a sketchy banana handstand and a not too bad standing back somersault, if I do say so myself. I imagine those were probably on their way out too, and in a couple of years I'd join the ranks of the 'carved from stone' office workers we all fear. But a couple of things have happened this year.

1) I injured my back (L4-L5 herniated disc) and suffered severe sciatica and loss of mobility in my lower back/body. I've spent about 8 weeks recovering now and am back to about 75% original fitness with this injury. But stiff, sore and not keen on allowing it to happen again. 

2) My fiancée and I discovered we were pregnant with our first child - due April next year.

So, not wanting to be one of those dads who can't play with his kid because he has a bad back, and thinking kids will enjoy a parents who can cartwheel and handstand more than one who lives under a squat rack; I've returned to GST and am beginning from scratch. That's the Foundation Level, from the start, with no shortcuts. I'm excited to begin (I'm a month in now) and count myself lucky that I'm not in worse shape.

I hope to provide updates on my progress once I've worked through the Foundation Course, and am excited to follow the community of GST on this forum.

And now to my question, which I'm sure has been discussed elsewhere:

"Is it recommended to avoid any weight training or supplementary exercises in a gym while working on F1-F4?"

Thanks, I look forward to being motivated by you all.

Hey Phil, weight training can be implemented but you must understand your primary goal. consider that bodyweight training has less impact on a lower back decease compared to weight training..generally speaking. because there are tons of people training with weight and with a bulged disk or herniated disk. so my suggestion is FIRST being able to move freely then if necessary add something more.