Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handstands for Transverse Abdominis

Sean Matsuda

Do you consider handstand and it's variations indirect TVA training?   I cannot get into a handstand unless I suck and squeeze my midsection as hard as I can, which feels similar to how I contract in stomach vacuums or planks. The two latter exercises are too boring and do not directly lead to any calisthenics skill, so why not recommend handstands for TVA training?

Second question for you guys that mastered the handstand and are doing much harder variations "HSPU, One arm handstand, leaning handstands, HSPU on straight bar etc  " Do you still consciously think about squeezing your midsection?

Alessandro Mainente
12 hours ago, Sean Matsuda said:

Do you consider handstand and it's variations indirect TVA training?   I cannot get into a handstand unless I suck and squeeze my midsection as hard as I can, which feels similar to how I contract in stomach vacuums or planks. The two latter exercises are too boring and do not directly lead to any calisthenics skill, so why not recommend handstands for TVA training?

Second question for you guys that mastered the handstand and are doing much harder variations "HSPU, One arm handstand, leaning handstands, HSPU on straight bar etc  " Do you still consciously think about squeezing your midsection?

Hi Sean , nope. not anymore. I did hspu, 90°, planche press, inverted cross, one arm handstand, rings hs. Once you got alignment you do not need too much tension in order to hold and correct the balance. you simply relax. this is the natural flow regarding the neural optimization process. your body still uses the abs but less than before. it can generate the same amount of tension with fewer fibers or with less firing rate. the consequences is a more relaxed position.

8 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Sean , nope. not anymore. I did hspu, 90°, planche press, inverted cross, one arm handstand, rings hs. Once you got alignment you do not need too much tension in order to hold and correct the balance. you simply relax. this is the natural flow regarding the neural optimization process. your body still uses the abs but less than before. it can generate the same amount of tension with fewer fibers or with less firing rate. the consequences is a more relaxed position.

Can't wait to get to that level. Getting tired of contracting so hard just to balance a handstand. Only a matter of time though