Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How Can I Increase My Straddle Flexibility?

Bob Sanders

Bob Sanders

How can I increase my straddle flexibility? I have been working on this one for a long time on and off now. The reason of the offs is because I do not know what the heck I am doing and so I was going at it blindly. Can any give me a good source of information either from websites or based upon their personal success? Thank you.

Well, I usually warm up with the butterfly stretch, usually a minute. Try to bring your feet in, straighten your back, and lean forward.

Then I do the straddle stretch. Spread your legs so your legs form a 90 degree angle. Then, with your back straight, lean towards the right as far as possible and hold the stretch for a minute. Then repeat it on the left side and then reach out to the middle.

Depending on your current flexibility, the time it takes to reach your ideal flexibility will depend.

I'll play devil's advocate here and say that the best way to work on your straddle flexibility is to not do straddle stretches. (At least not at the beginning stage.) I would contend that straight leg flexibility is the limiting factor and so it's best to work that arena first. This combined with subtle hip openers I think will help you improve your straddle flexibility. Here's a list of straight leg stretches:

Low Lunge

High Lunge

Hurdler Stretch

Lizard Yoga Post (Lunge with elbows down)

Half Split

Building flexibility can take as much time as building up a manna. There are lots of opinions about how often to stretch and how much active vs passive work to do.

But like anything here at GB consistent effort is the number one tool. And working progressively.

One of classic balanced set of stretches would be to lie down with straight legs. Bring a leg up into the air if you can grab your foot or toe do so, otherwise use a strap. The leg must be straight and engaged, and the sit bones must stay on the floor (i.e. don't round your back at this stage.) After 15-30 sec there, go over to the inside so you foot is somewhere over the opposite side of your body, hold another 15-30 secs. Then bring it all the way over to the outside for another 15-30 secs. Don't let your hips come too much off the floor in either of the side movements.

After that simple hip sequence stand with wide legs and bend forward bring your hands to the floor assuming they reach, if not use wall, table, chair etc... This will let gravity help the stretch. Keep your legs active, kneecaps sucked up, tow mounds pressing into the floor.

Just some thoughts without knowing exactly where you are at.

From there sit wide legs on the floor. Try to sit with active legs and a flat back, again straps to your feet can help you get some leverage to pull your lower back up if needed. Once you can sit with a flat back try tilting your hips and bending forward. Another tip for this is to elevate your hips on a box etc so gravity can help again.

From there get creative, maybe tailor's stretch and then some fully active work trying to come into straddle.

After that repeat the first hip set as a 'cool down'.

Basically what worked for me was to build a sequence of stretches that progress deeper and deeper and then back down again.

Bob Sanders
After 15-30 sec there, go over to the inside so you foot is somewhere over the opposite side of your body, hold another 15-30 secs. Then bring it all the way over to the outside for another 15-30 secs. Don't let your hips come too much off the floor in either of the side movements.

Do you mean like this?

image_60.jpg

My straddle is about 90 degrees or maybe a little bit more but not much wider.

[quote name="Mr Brady"From there sit wide legs on the floor. Try to sit with active legs and a flat back' date=' again straps to your feet can help you get some leverage to pull your lower back up if needed. .

DO you mean reach on leg at a time, left and then right, with on strap. Or have a strap on each leg and lean forward with the strap?

From there get creative, maybe tailor's stretch and then some fully active work trying to come into straddle.

What is the tailor's stretch?

Basically what worked for me was to build a sequence of stretches that progress deeper and deeper and then back down again

What do you mean by this? Can you elaborate on this?

Bob Sanders
I'll play devil's advocate here and say that the best way to work on your straddle flexibility is to not do straddle stretches. (At least not at the beginning stage.) I would contend that straight leg flexibility is the limiting factor and so it's best to work that arena first. This combined with subtle hip openers I think will help you improve your straddle flexibility. Here's a list of straight leg stretches:

Low Lunge

High Lunge

Hurdler Stretch

Lizard Yoga Post (Lunge with elbows down)

Half Split

That's good advice I never thought of it that way. But I am pretty flexible with the seated straight leg forward bend. I can reach and touch my toes and go an inch over my toes. Is that enough?

Bob Sanders
Well, I usually warm up with the butterfly stretch, usually a minute. Try to bring your feet in, straighten your back, and lean forward.

Then I do the straddle stretch. Spread your legs so your legs form a 90 degree angle. Then, with your back straight, lean towards the right as far as possible and hold the stretch for a minute. Then repeat it on the left side and then reach out to the middle.

Depending on your current flexibility, the time it takes to reach your ideal flexibility will depend.

Thanks I will try that.

After 15-30 sec there, go over to the inside so you foot is somewhere over the opposite side of your body, hold another 15-30 secs. Then bring it all the way over to the outside for another 15-30 secs. Don't let your hips come too much off the floor in either of the side movements.
Do you mean like this?

image_60.jpg[/quote

Yes. Only but holding a belt around your foot, so you can (without overdoing it) bring the foot up towards your head and not nearly so far over towards the floor. Bringing it to the floor makes it more of a spinal twist, i'm suggesting you hit your abductors/ glutes with this. Even for very flexible people the foot won't move over very far from vertical to do this.

Sorry i know its hard to describe in words.

Supta%20Padangusthasana%201.jpg

Thats the base position, which is mostly hamstrings. Move foot to left and hold with left hand, try to feel it in the abductors/glutes.

Then to this

Supta%20Padangusthasana%202.jpg

This will hit the groins more and is the one related to straddle. Don't just flop over on your side though, you will have to keep the right hip down too and allow the groin to release.

My straddle is about 90 degrees or maybe a little bit more but not much wider.

Between the legs or between the legs and trunk? If its between the legs, then there is some work to do, but this simple sequence it a sound place to start from.

[quote name="Mr Brady"From there sit wide legs on the floor. Try to sit with active legs and a flat back' date=' again straps to your feet can help you get some leverage to pull your lower back up if needed. .

DO you mean reach on leg at a time, left and then right, with on strap. Or have a strap on each leg and lean forward with the strap?

Actually both are good. Its usually easier to stretch one leg at a time, but esp. for straddle the balanced two leg stretch is vital.

The one leg at a time will also hit the sides a bit more which can be a factor in holding straddle. In any case its also really important to get to the point that you can sit upright and not slouch in your lower back.

What is the tailor's stretch?

People here often say Butterfly Stretch.

Basically what worked for me was to build a sequence of stretches that progress deeper and deeper and then back down again

What do you mean by this? Can you elaborate on this?

In other words don't just go straight to your deepest stretch. Start with the easier variations.

This does a few things, muscles need time to unwind in the same way they need time to fully tense. You don't start a workout at 100%, you do a warm up. 'Stretching' is similar. the muscles need to warm up to the stretch.

At the same time, stretching is a skill. In order to go deeper you have to get your mind in the muscles. I know it sounds funny but the more you concentrate on what's happening the faster and safer the progress is.

So sart out easy to get yourself into it. From there work towards your deeper, more intense stretches. After that intense work, the muscles need a re-set, so repeat the first couple of warm ups. Notice the how they feel different now.

A last thought. In stretching, esp straddle type stretches, it very important not to have the feeling that most of the stretch is concentrated in one place.

For example you might feel that most of the stretch is at your sit bone. When this begins to happen learn to diffuse the stretch along the entire length of the muscle. Again if you get your mind into it, its actually quite easy to do.

When ever the stretch is centered in a point its creating stress in the connective tissue. We want to stretch the muscles which have length (eg hamstrings) or width (eg glutes), the whole area of the muscle needs to be involved not just points at the ends of the muscle.

In straddles it the hamstrings and lower back that are the most vulnerable. The groins as well, but that might be a topic for when you are further along.

I hope this helps.

This is getting close to a case of QUOTE ABUSE so if you have more questions no need to quote this whole schpeel.

That's good advice I never thought of it that way. But I am pretty flexible with the seated straight leg forward bend. I can reach and touch my toes and go an inch over my toes. Is that enough?

It depends on whether you are overarching your back or not to achieve that range of motion. The limiting factor in most of this stuff is hamstring flexibility which, as most guys know, is usually pretty limited. I have an odd theory that I think single leg forward bends (ie; hurdler stretch) force you to extend more from the waist and keep a flatter back.

It depends on whether you are overarching your back or not to achieve that range of motion. The limiting factor in most of this stuff is hamstring flexibility which, as most guys know, is usually pretty limited. I have an odd theory that I think single leg forward bends (ie; hurdler stretch) force you to extend more from the waist and keep a flatter back.

One leg stretches are also easier because its half the hamstring resistance.

Good point about the over-rounding of the back. A simple way to check if this is happening is to feel your spine and if the bones are poking out the back is too arched. The lower back needs to be kept in check.

Bob Sanders

Mr.Brady, What are some stretches that are easy, warm-up stretches and what are some harder stretches. Are the ones you provided previously an easy or hard stretch?

But i was thinking do I need harder stretches? Or can I use the same stretch but go deeper into it?

Mr.Brady, What are some stretches that are easy, warm-up stretches and what are some harder stretches. Are the ones you provided previously an easy or hard stretch?

But i was thinking do I need harder stretches? Or can I use the same stretch but go deeper into it?

The first stretches lying on your back are easier.

Standing using gravity is medium and

Sitting is hardest,

in the sequence i gave.

Do that for a while and you'll see how the different positions play though your body in different ways, though they stretch very similar place. Hopefully they will create a kind of 'progressive' opening effect.

So what i mean by easy vs hard is quite subjective, similar to the ratings in BtGB. I don't mean doing more exotic stretches.

You don't need 'harder' stretches, perhaps more variety to hit other areas, but we are talking about straddle, and i just threw out one off the cuff sequence. You will want more depth, i.e. range of motion, but that should come if you work on it consistently.

Of course there are a number of ways to work to get more depth, but for the way i work, i believe its important to first get an inner sense of how the stretching works before adding more external help. E.g. using a wall to get more leverage to open the spread legs in various ways, having some one push on you etc.

I've come to that conclusion, because i've seen too many injuries over the years. Once the body sense is there, then more 'force' is OK.

If this line of thought is helpful you could check out a yoga class and see if it helps.

Sorry i mixed the terms, but rounding is the usual term.