Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I’m Frustrated!

Adam Wolfe

I just took a few weeks working up to the max push-up level of 5 sets of 15.  Which ended up being a bit harder then I expected since I apparently have spent my whole life doing push-ups way too fast.  

Today, I tried the pseudo planche push-ups and it started me at 3 reps, which was crazy easy. I started thinking....how much more difficult are some of the later exercises?  So, I jumped ahead a few sublevels and did the dips, which were also easy since the max was only 5 rep. 

I’m now frustrated.  Is there some test or gauge i should be using to tell me my correct level?  I’m feeling like I’m wasting my time on strength exercises I can already easily do......the mobility/flexibility side is a different story.

Thanks.    

Alessandro Mainente
On 8/29/2020 at 7:47 PM, Adam Wolfe said:

I just took a few weeks working up to the max push-up level of 5 sets of 15.  Which ended up being a bit harder then I expected since I apparently have spent my whole life doing push-ups way too fast.  

Today, I tried the pseudo planche push-ups and it started me at 3 reps, which was crazy easy. I started thinking....how much more difficult are some of the later exercises?  So, I jumped ahead a few sublevels and did the dips, which were also easy since the max was only 5 rep. 

I’m now frustrated.  Is there some test or gauge i should be using to tell me my correct level?  I’m feeling like I’m wasting my time on strength exercises I can already easily do......the mobility/flexibility side is a different story.

Thanks.    

Hi Adam, one of the most common mistakes is thinking that "i can do something..then i'm ready for that". Taling about the process from pushup to dip...the stress on the anterior joint capsule increases progressively. the fact that you are able to do dips does not mean that your tissues are ready for them.

I've also noticed from your history forum that you have never asked for form check...or asking for personal advice, strategies, program modifications in order to reach the mastery....so i'm not sure that you have used all the GB forum resources.

i would like you to know something very interesting that happens recently:

this is one of my latest videos. i'm talking about the shoulder issues when you perform prematurely the dip. now maybe you do not understand italian. but this is not important. what is relevant is that we have 24-25 comments:

- 13 of them are comments of guys INJURED BY DOING PREMATURELY DIP...." but I'm stronger enough".

-the remaining are my comments saying people that they were not enough prepared for the dips. so basically they were people who decided to not waste time on easier progression because they were able to do harder exercise.

And i think that this is terrible. IN the last 7 years i have coached people of all the ages...of all the types...zero injuries.

Our promise is "stay healthy"..GB method "is the process".

we MUST reflect on that, decisions behind a method, behind this method are perfectly aligned on the best practices for the strength training from beginner to intermediate. why and what are not so easy to be explained but you have all the resources from this forum to fill gaps and fix the problems....use it.

ù

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Matthew Walker

I'm no expert or coach of any kind but based on my personal experience I'd suggest following the steps as outlined in the program. If not let me know when you get injured. I learned the hard way. I have a large collection of orthopedic braces and rehab equipment I'll sell you :)

• Haha 2

MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ

I also started GB with the same thinking, that exercise were to easy. I was doing planche leans, korean dips, l chin ups, reverse leg lifts... And then I started uploading form checks of every single exercise, and realised that my form was bad in every exercise, and I had to go back to PE1 of every exercise. With proper form strength exercises also get more complex, and the sooner you see where you are failing atm the sooner you will reach those hard/impressive exercises we all aim for

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
Adam McCubbin
On 9/3/2020 at 12:40 AM, MARIO LOPEZ RUIZ said:

I also started GB with the same thinking, that exercise were to easy. I was doing planche leans, korean dips, l chin ups, reverse leg lifts... And then I started uploading form checks of every single exercise, and realised that my form was bad in every exercise, and I had to go back to PE1 of every exercise. With proper form strength exercises also get more complex, and the sooner you see where you are failing atm the sooner you will reach those hard/impressive exercises we all aim for

Where abouts do you post your videos for "form checks"?? 

Alessandro Mainente
On 1/20/2021 at 11:03 AM, Adam McCubbin said:

Where abouts do you post your videos for "form checks"?? 

Hey Adam, in the private subforum in the corresponding section of the course you are training..

• Like 1