Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Planche and Press

DanPlanche

DanPlanche

What is a good workout schedule to train these, just wondering what would be best?

Despite my name I can only hold a straddle planche for about 3 seconds. My press strength is pretty rubbish too but I'm not that flexible. At the minute I train planche and press strength on tuesdays thursdays saturdays and sundays.

When I train planche I usually do as many maximum holds as I can for up to 30 seconds total time in sets of ten seconds. so 3seconds x 3 three times.

For press I just try and lift. Now A few weeks ago I could press to handstand with non straddled (but slightly bent legs) then now I cannot do it for some reason. It is there I just seem to have lost it.

So what is the best way to train these things because I find it hard to gauge how tired the muscle groups are.

Also, is Pres strength using (or generally putting most pressure on) core muscles? I thought it was all in the shoulders?

Press strength requires strength in the shoulder girdle besides the core. Shoulder and hip flexibility will compensate for less strength while lacking those will require more strength.

• 4 weeks later...

You haven't "lost" it, you just put too much strain on your body without allowing yourself enough time to recover. Intense strength work like the kind that you're doing puts more pressure on the CNS than the muscles. You need to allow your CNS to recover before you bounce back stronger.

Try going light for a few workout, lowering the volume or the intensity by 50%, and give yourself 2-3 extra rest days. Some high volume low intensity workouts can help in the recovery process too. After that you'll find yourself getting back what you've "lost" and then some.

It's all about maintaining the balance between training stimulus and proper rest and recovery.

I have the same problem. Cutting the volume by 30-50% seems to help me sometimes. I keep the frequency and intensity the same, but just back off on the total work. It is happening to both my pulling and my pressing. My pressing strength is coming around, but my pulling is stuck in a slight decline. For pressing I chose to cut volume by about 30% because my shoulder was hurting in some positions. For pulling I'm cutting back by about 10-20% and doing a steady state for a while.