Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TRX vs. Rings

Bill Herndon

Bill Herndon

I'm just starting with Level 1. Is there any significant difference between using rings and a TRX handle/strap setup? I know the TRX is fastened to a single point in the ceiling (not two as a ring set would be), but how critical is that?

For the rows, etc. it doesn't seem like the rings would be any better so at what point are rings something that are really needed?

Also if I get rings: wood vs. plastic? The thinner or thicker handles? I assume thicker would be better for grip strength at the same time?

Coach Sommer

TRX if fine for now.  Rings will be necessary once skills need to be performed in either a hang or support.  Wood will generally prove to be more durable, but will not be weatherproof.

Thicker rings are an advertising gimmick created for those who do not know better .  The diameter of rings is just slightly larger than that of an olympic lifting bar.  Rather interesting to note that even the super heavyweight OLers have not found a thicker bar necessary despite their much larger hands.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Matthew Walker

I have standard diameter wooden rings and some thicker metal rings. I think the wooden rings just feel better. Just my personal preference.