Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scapula protraction during pushups?

Matthew Mossop

Matthew Mossop

In the pushup video the instructor mentions scapular protraction at the top of the pushup.

I'm confused because I always thought that for exercises like this (such as bench press, etc.), the scapula should be retracted. I've watched a bunch of bench press videos where the always say retract the scapula.

Should the scapula be protracted throughout the whole movement or only at the top? Also what's the reason for protraction instead of retraction?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Coach Sommer

The retracted scapula, and hence the restricted ROM (range of motion) while under maximal loads is why the majority of serious bench pressers end up with severe shoulder injuries.

Protract strongly at the top of the movement and then allow the scapula to move naturally but with control during the descent without allowing them to collapse.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

• Like 2

Matthew Mossop

Thank you very much Coach Sommer!

Does the same apply to dips? Should we also not purposely retracted scapula during dips? Should they be protracted at the top of the movement or just allowed to move naturally?

Alessandro Mainente
10 hours ago, Matthew Mossop said:

Thank you very much Coach Sommer!

Does the same apply to dips? Should we also not purposely retracted scapula during dips? Should they be protracted at the top of the movement or just allowed to move naturally?

It depends on the "goal fo the dips" .the more you want to include chest in the dip the more the retraction and the spine extension. generally if you want a dip that is useful for future bodyweight exercise development you should look for a neutral position/resting position.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...