Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Repeated tendonitis even after low or mild intensity activity.

Ladislav Kostka

Ladislav Kostka

Hello friends, I would like to ask you for help with my problem. I past years I several times developed elbow tendonitis (tennis elbow). It was always caused by overuse and although I appeared more  often than I would like I always managed to heal it. 

But recently I got quite bad tendonitis ( tennis elbow again) to both of my arms after only low intensity activity (like a couple of push ups, moving to a new apartment..). In the past the cause was always too many ring muscle ups, long workouts with insufficient regeneration between workouts etc) but now something is causing quite painful inflamation in my arms and I don't  know what it is. 

I am relatively strong (enough to be able to do some basic activity as described above without getting tendonitis right away :)), I can do strict ring MU, handstands, backlevers and been working out on rings with pauses for 7 years now. Now I am in the pause period because of work and family and I am doing quite little strenght exercise, I do a bit of yoga and running.

Anyone any thoughts on the reason of my problem? Anything to start with and focus on?

I would like to get ať least two ring workouts a week but I am useless with my arms aching for seemingly no reason. 

Thank you for you help in advance.

Alessandro Mainente
10 hours ago, Ladislav Kostka said:

Hello friends, I would like to ask you for help with my problem. I past years I several times developed elbow tendonitis (tennis elbow). It was always caused by overuse and although I appeared more  often than I would like I always managed to heal it. 

But recently I got quite bad tendonitis ( tennis elbow again) to both of my arms after only low intensity activity (like a couple of push ups, moving to a new apartment..). In the past the cause was always too many ring muscle ups, long workouts with insufficient regeneration between workouts etc) but now something is causing quite painful inflamation in my arms and I don't  know what it is. 

I am relatively strong (enough to be able to do some basic activity as described above without getting tendonitis right away :)), I can do strict ring MU, handstands, backlevers and been working out on rings with pauses for 7 years now. Now I am in the pause period because of work and family and I am doing quite little strenght exercise, I do a bit of yoga and running.

Anyone any thoughts on the reason of my problem? Anything to start with and focus on?

I would like to get ať least two ring workouts a week but I am useless with my arms aching for seemingly no reason. 

Thank you for you help in advance.

Hi Ladislav. the problem is simple...you are not enough strong as you think. Main muscles group get stronger faster compared to little muscles so basically there is an imbalance in the rate on adaptation from group to group. the fact that one problem occurs again is because it was never solved. once a problem cames out the iter should be:

-rest in the acute phase if the problem affects daily work and movements;

-begin with stretch;

-begin with the strength program for the affected area, from general functional anatomy range of movement up to specific movement.

An injured muscle does not recover if you do not raise his basic level o strength, no matter how easy the exercise you do, no matter how much you rest.

basically, the protocol you used (if you used a protocol) was not suited for restoring the specific muscle functionality.

when one side gets an injury and then you get the injury on the opposite, it is because you begin in the daily activities to work on the unaffected side. also if you do not use proper variation and you still use painful exercise you begin to load much more the unaffected side. this is basically the "why" injuries should not be managed alone.

• 2 weeks later...
Matthew Walker

I had to give up even simple rows for about 2 years due to doing muscle ups when I apparently wasn't ready. Had to have two surgeries which I recently almost 100% recovered from. Now I'm back to rows. I wish I would have taken my time. 

• 1 month later...
Ladislav Kostka

Hello guys, thanks for your replies.

For now my problem was solved simply. I warm up properly and I stretch properly. I also do more of lower intensity and higher rep workout to get some bloodflow to my tendons.

I am also working on getting more ROM in my   shoulders and my wrists. I got the impression that the lack of range of motion in those areas led me overuse the tendons in my elbows. Due to the imbalances it resulted in bicep tendon pain in my right arm and elbow tendonitis in my left arm. Maybe it is just my impression.

Overal feeling great and progressing  - slowly but steadily. :)

Thanks for now