Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HSPU-Chin-up Ratio

Alex Chaney

Alex Chaney

Is it possible for someone to be capable of more full range HSPUs than chin-ups?

I have seen countless videos of Olympic Lifters who seem to be proficient strength wise in HSPUs however many look sloppy whenever they do regular pull-ups or chins.

I just assumed with was impossible because the back muscles are so large. I know Coach mentioned that most people in general are more proficient at pulling feats than pushing.

Alessandro Mainente
18 hours ago, Alex Chaney said:

Is it possible for someone to be capable of more full range HSPUs than chin-ups?

I have seen countless videos of Olympic Lifters who seem to be proficient strength wise in HSPUs however many look sloppy whenever they do regular pull-ups or chins.

I just assumed with was impossible because the back muscles are so large. I know Coach mentioned that most people in general are more proficient at pulling feats than pushing.

The first important thing is that strength is specific, if you do not train it you will never be proficient. you think that maybe you can always squatting more than bench pressing....not me... I was stronger on benchpress than in squat for a long time.

Also, I'm actually stronger on weighted dips than pullup.

Generally speaking, pulling is easier due to the dimension of the muscles involved.

HSPU requires more correct shoulders coordination than pullup and if shoulder does not work well you have low chances to compensate with other muscles. something that on the opposite you can do in pullups.

• Like 2

Alex Chaney
2 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

The first important thing is that strength is specific, if you do not train it you will never be proficient. you think that maybe you can always squatting more than bench pressing....not me... I was stronger on benchpress than in squat for a long time.

Also, I'm actually stronger on weighted dips than pullup.

Generally speaking, pulling is easier due to the dimension of the muscles involved.

HSPU requires more correct shoulders coordination than pullup and if shoulder does not work well you have low chances to compensate with other muscles. something that on the opposite you can do in pullups.

Super interesting. Also do you think a lot of this has to do with the fact that people are far more likely to train pull-ups in their life since kids play around with monkey bars from early ages rather than jumping into a HS to do push-ups?

Interestingly from a structural balance perspective, the late Charles Poliquin used to recommend being able to standing overhead press 83% of what you could do on a weighted chin-up (bodyweight included). That would leave most people with much stronger pulling patterns than pushing if that ratio is worth any merit.

Alessandro Mainente
18 hours ago, Alex Chaney said:

Super interesting. Also do you think a lot of this has to do with the fact that people are far more likely to train pull-ups in their life since kids play around with monkey bars from early ages rather than jumping into a HS to do push-ups?

Interestingly from a structural balance perspective, the late Charles Poliquin used to recommend being able to standing overhead press 83% of what you could do on a weighted chin-up (bodyweight included). That would leave most people with much stronger pulling patterns than pushing if that ratio is worth any merit.

Well the multilateral approach to movement is important for the young kids. the better the multilateral approach the higher the ability development in the future. 

when kids are young (around 4-5-6-7 years) they should need to swim, run, roll and much more. then they can specialize.

Over head pressing is useful to balance pulling ONLY if the pressing shows a proper shoulder girdle coordination between scapulo-thoracic muscles and gleno-humeral muscles.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Alessandro Mainente

The wrongest assumption that can be done is thinking that we must balance pressing and pulling. In order maintain correct body balance the exercises should be balanced to restore a specific range of motion between agonist and antagonist. pressing muscles like chest and shoulder are not antagonists of pulling muscles. they are, on the opposite, synergist for the biggest part of their function.