Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has anyone built their own lifting platform?

Nick Murray

Nick Murray

Has anyone built their own lifting platform? How big is it? What materials did you use? @Jin Liu you have a lifting platform in your garage, don't you? Was it home-made?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 11:56 PM, Nick Murray said:

Has anyone built their own lifting platform? How big is it? What materials did you use? @Jin Liu you have a lifting platform in your garage, don't you? Was it home-made?

Yea, it was 8 ft x 8 ft, and it’s plenty big for Olympic weightlifting (enough space for you to miss a lift safely). If you are not doing Oly weightlifting, maybe a 4x8 would be big enough (for squats and deadlifts, etc).

My platform has 3 layers of wood. Bottom two layers (4 pieces of 4x8) are engineered wood, just for sturdiness and floor protection. Top layer is a piece of good quality hardwood, also 4x8. I put this one in the middle. So there’s a 2x8 gap on both sides. I filled it in with horse stall mats. They are basically hard rubber. Inexpensive, but it has an unpleasant rubber odor that would eventually go away (for mine it took like 9months). You can always use real gym flooring for it if you don’t mind the price.  

I remember you are in Australia? In US I got all of the wood boards from Home Depot, and the stall mats from a tractor store. The thicknesses all match, and the surface end up pretty flush. A co-worker of mine told me he built a platform that absorbs some of the noise of weight dropping. That’d be lovely. Cuz I do find my platform gives a kind of brain vibrating hard noise when weights drop on it. Took me a while to get used to. Maybe it’s just me, lol.  But worth checking it out. I’m sure you can google it.

• Like 1

Nick Murray

Thanks Jin! Yes, am still in Australia, working from home so my gym is 20s walk away :) And I've just discovered the home gym subreddit  https://old.reddit.com/r/homegym   so lots more ideas there (I didn't know you can buy folding power racks...).

I know the brainshaking noise you mean...   

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/25/2020 at 10:38 PM, Nick Murray said:

Thanks Jin! Yes, am still in Australia, working from home so my gym is 20s walk away :) And I've just discovered the home gym subreddit  https://old.reddit.com/r/homegym   so lots more ideas there (I didn't know you can buy folding power racks...).

I know the brainshaking noise you mean...   

Right now my apartment is my gym. Not great. That's a cool site with a lot of good ideas. Are you going to build a platform anytime soon? Do share photos!