Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

inflexible ankles

Ross Richardson

Ross Richardson

Hi I have just started and I have inflexible ankles, so much so I can't do a squat very well without my heels rising. so my question is do I keep trying to keep them on the floor and therefore loose the deepness of the squat and hope they get better or at 42 years old do I need to accept my ankles will not get better and so allow my heels to rise and get the deep squat ?

Alessandro Mainente
6 hours ago, Ross Richardson said:

Hi I have just started and I have inflexible ankles, so much so I can't do a squat very well without my heels rising. so my question is do I keep trying to keep them on the floor and therefore loose the deepness of the squat and hope they get better or at 42 years old do I need to accept my ankles will not get better and so allow my heels to rise and get the deep squat ?

Hi Ross...i'm with you with the ankles problem. talking about literature there are 2 main joints where you must acquire and hold the mobility...ankles, and wrists. if you lose them you have low chances to develop it. i tried to restore some mobility through the last 13 years with no results. in order to squat I'm currently using weightlifting shoes.

Todd Sprenkle

"... there are 2 main joints where you must acquire and hold the mobility...ankles, and wrists. if you lose them you have low chances to develop it."

Do these "low chances" also apply to other joints? [Currently at age 73, it would be helpful to me to know which flexibility limitations are unlikely to be fixable -- even if it is worthwhile to continue working at the edge of any such limitation.]

Alessandro Mainente
14 hours ago, Todd Sprenkle said:

"... there are 2 main joints where you must acquire and hold the mobility...ankles, and wrists. if you lose them you have low chances to develop it."

Do these "low chances" also apply to other joints? [Currently at age 73, it would be helpful to me to know which flexibility limitations are unlikely to be fixable -- even if it is worthwhile to continue working at the edge of any such limitation.]

No, i have recovered many columns of 65+ yo people, many posterior chain and many shoulders. it simply requires more more more time.

Timothy Letscher

I have been working on my ankles since January and have noticed the slightest of loosening. I'm 52 and have two screws in my left ankle from a severe break 12 years ago. Scar tissue and tendons healing in a much more shortened position have made it pretty impossible to deep squat with my heels down. It is getting better though! I'm deeper now than I was five months ago and trying to remember I'm in this for the long haul. @Todd Sprenklevery impressed and inspired to be doing this in another 21 years! Nice one.