Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Russian Wendeswings help!

bboycherokee

bboycherokee

Does anyone know how to go about learning this move on floor?

I dont have any access to gymnastics equipment and just starting to learn circles/virgin flares on floor

Is there any way i can learn these 1080 wendeswings or a tutorial that someone could help me with

Thanks!

bboycherokee

Also for the body shape, do i learn forward with my shoudlers and try to lengthen my legs?

or do i just let my legs carry themselves and i just spin and rotate on my hands??

the first thing you need to do is setup a bucket circle rig. get a paint bucket, put some socks on, hang the bucket from something, a tree, a bar, a set of rings and practice basic circles.

after you get the hang of doing them on your hands, start doing them on your forearms.

besides that you will need to work a basic circle. you can work these on floor and I reccomend using socks if you are doing them on mats or carpet.

if you can find a wheel spool, you can build a mushroom with a trip to the hardware store.

your shoulders will always be diagonal over your hands, in the front, sides and rear. at the beginning, it's best to just focus on keeping them diagonal over the hands on the side supports.

as your feet sweep forward, you lean back. as your feet sweep behind you, you lean forward.

circle your feet/heels and from there it's just a matter of hand placement and timing, but this is only something to worry about after you can do the circle WELL.

bboycherokee

Thanks so much!

I think i might be able to get this move very soon!

Now for Wendeswings/ UFos, once i get to the back of my circle, how do i keep my legs straight while im rotating on my hands??

Do i lean forward with my shoulders and try to lengthen my legs out??

you might bend your legs when you first start russian circles, but when I learned my russians, I started out by straddling my legs so I could understand my hand placements. Eventually, I began to do it from circles. I can't do russians on the floor yet, but I could do about 2 on the mushroom.

Trust me, I'm a gymnast. :P

You need more momentum to get legs out straight.

Focus on developing very powerful circles and work speedy russians on mushroom etc.

• 7 years later...
Alessandro Mainente

I do not completely agree with you about the body alignment. during the supported work on the floor but also on the horse the correct amount of protraction it is usually followed by extended hips which different from the arched lower back. 

the lower back arched form it is usually shown by people who cannot show a proper extended body in the front and as a consequence, less speed and less lean with the shoulders.. the reduced speed needs to be counter balanced by a reduction in the leverage something you can do by arching the lower back

Ideally, with good extended shape, speed and lean you can hold a very good extended position in the back which means a greater form. the less you change the alignment the easier it is to perform the combination.

A good example of a tight body without a lower back collapsing during Russian circle it is xiao qin.

• Like 1

Jonas Berglund

how advanced is this move in terms of gymnastics? Christopher sommer talks about grades A to G rating. Muscle up not even an A etc.

I guess an iron cross would rate pretty high, where would you coaches rate the russian wendeswings? 

Alessandro Mainente

Iron cross it is only a B skill.

On the floor the russian circles are a C.

• Like 1