Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rope Climb Preparation

MR ISAAC TANG

MR ISAAC TANG

What are the requirements to start doing high volume rope climbs without your elbows dying?

- I've never experienced elbow pain

- I can do a single OAP on each arm all the way up on good days

- My one arm 90-degree hold is good, I'm just chilling on the bar

- I do ring dips with my the rings turned past parallel pretty effectively

I do rope climb with no feet assist occasionally and I'm wondering if I should start really going at it, and if so how should I progress. Is it reps going up and down, time, or length?

Alessandro Mainente
18 hours ago, MR ISAAC TANG said:

What are the requirements to start doing high volume rope climbs without your elbows dying?

- I've never experienced elbow pain

- I can do a single OAP on each arm all the way up on good days

- My one arm 90-degree hold is good, I'm just chilling on the bar

- I do ring dips with my the rings turned past parallel pretty effectively

I do rope climb with no feet assist occasionally and I'm wondering if I should start really going at it, and if so how should I progress. Is it reps going up and down, time, or length?

Hi Isaac, unfortunately, there is no list of requirements. I'd like o to guide you through rational reasoning. We have 2 people, both of them got numbers and skills but:

-one of them had reached results in a short time, using the ability of the brain of improving strength in the first 1/1.5  years of training;

-the other one spent about 3-4 years in a process that respects the anatomical adaptations of the connective tissues especially tendons and stabilization muscles adaptation to load.

The first guy has probably a higher probability of injury due to fast strength gain BUT not optimal tissue adaptation. the second one probably is ready for almost everything.

Said that REQUIREMENTS count zero when you do not have any type of information about the training history of guys considering methodology, programming, preexisting injury and so on. So basically i do not have an answer for you.

I had many clients coming to me making the same answer as you and maybe they had 20 pullup, 1 pullup with 50-60 o 70 kg. But i wasn't able to say anything about their previous training.

do I have to trust in their words? simply no because if there were experts in training probably they wouldn't come to me answering for my knowledge. so they trained more "casually" than "methodically".

the journey i have learned by Coach Sommer gives me enough guarantee about the adaptations that i have mentioned early.

• Like 1

MR ISAAC TANG

I actually fully understand what you are saying and I completely agree, thanks for that 'methodic' explanation Allesandro.

Hopefully, the dumb teenager side of my brain can accept this information. But if not I guess we'll chat later then.

Thanks again.

Isaac

Alessandro Mainente
8 hours ago, MR ISAAC TANG said:

I actually fully understand what you are saying and I completely agree, thanks for that 'methodic' explanation Allesandro.

Hopefully, the dumb teenager side of my brain can accept this information. But if not I guess we'll chat later then.

Thanks again.

Isaac

I think is pretty years accepting one thing: i can get injured or MAYBE no. but in this case, the weight of the "maybe" is much more important.

• Like 1