Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PPP enough for straddle planche?

Sean Matsuda

Sean Matsuda

Used to do a lot of normal progressions like Advanced Tuck and other dynamics, just got tired of it "6.2 205lbs, gonna take me years of doing the same stuff again and again"

I like PPP because it's easy to scale "just put hands lower as I get better" I do PPP eccentrics and then regular reps with good form.

I read on reddit and heard Calisthenics Youtubers say that the more you are strong enough to place your hands lower, the more your feet will naturally start to float into a somewhat "bad planche" I know that PPP alone may not give me a solid gymnastic level full planche, but will progressing through PPP alone at least give me strength for DIAGONAL "45 degree" Half lay or even straddle planche? 

I don't need a clean planche. Just want locked arms,  back at an angle and half lay straddle is enough for me.

Alessandro Mainente
18 minutes ago, Sean Matsuda said:

Used to do a lot of normal progressions like Advanced Tuck and other dynamics, just got tired of it "6.2 205lbs, gonna take me years of doing the same stuff again and again"

I like PPP because it's easy to scale "just put hands lower as I get better" I do PPP eccentrics and then regular reps with good form.

I read on reddit and heard Calisthenics Youtubers say that the more you are strong enough to place your hands lower, the more your feet will naturally start to float into a somewhat "bad planche" I know that PPP alone may not give me a solid gymnastic level full planche, but will progressing through PPP alone at least give me strength for DIAGONAL "45 degree" Half lay or even straddle planche? 

I don't need a clean planche. Just want locked arms,  back at an angle and half lay straddle is enough for me.

No , never. because they are different types of strength and also angles change especially at the shoulder joint.if you want planche train planche.

Matthew Walker

My friend got a planche by doing that but it's ugly and he has messed up elbows which now affect his job. 

Sean Matsuda
49 minutes ago, Matthew Walker said:

My friend got a planche by doing that but it's ugly and he has messed up elbows which now affect his job. 

I don't mind an ugly planche, that's probably all I'll  ever get anyway. The elbow problems sounds scary though. maybe he progressed too fast and didnt let his joints properly accommodate? I heard muscles got stronger faster than joins/tendons so maybe thats it.

Edited by Sean Matsuda

Matthew Walker
On 3/28/2020 at 3:07 PM, Sean Matsuda said:

I don't mind an ugly planche, that's probably all I'll  ever get anyway. The elbow problems sounds scary though. maybe he progressed too fast and didnt let his joints properly accommodate? I heard muscles got stronger faster than joins/tendons so maybe thats it.

Well yeah with that attitude :) 

Sean Matsuda
4 hours ago, Matthew Walker said:

Well yeah with that attitude :) 

With reason though, I'm just being realistic. When you're tall AND heavy "not just one or the other, but BOTH" some skills require you to sell your soul to even come close. Best I have  after years of work is 7 second straddle FL, full back lever, weak banana handstand that I can't hold long and can't get into consistently, and bent arm straddle planche hold.

Most people only need on average 1 - 2 years of hard training to achieve good straddle planche, most of these guys are small. Not making excuses but we gotta be real, that's why you will never see big guys in gymnastics teams. I'll still keep trying through PPP progression though.

• Like 1