Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pull Up routine

Victor Kelling

Victor Kelling

Hi there, I need some advice on my pull up routine because I am a bit confused about which training program works best...I do pull-ups training at the beginning of my workouts, 3 times per week and a maximum of 4 sets... I am able to do one set of 10 slow pull-ups but I don´t seem to be able to increase either my reps or my sets. For example, I´m doing one set of 10 pull-ups and then it doesn´t really matter if I do a 30 seconds break or a 3-5 minute break...I can only do a maximum of 5-6 reps for my next two sets and don´t really make any progression. I am doing pull-ups for months. I am in shape, 6´2, and about 183 lbs and I feel like I´m having a wrong system. I started with the stretch series and make really good progression and was hoping to do the same with my pull-ups. 

Alessandro Mainente
On 2/17/2020 at 9:22 PM, Victor Kelling said:

Hi there, I need some advice on my pull up routine because I am a bit confused about which training program works best...I do pull-ups training at the beginning of my workouts, 3 times per week and a maximum of 4 sets... I am able to do one set of 10 slow pull-ups but I don´t seem to be able to increase either my reps or my sets. For example, I´m doing one set of 10 pull-ups and then it doesn´t really matter if I do a 30 seconds break or a 3-5 minute break...I can only do a maximum of 5-6 reps for my next two sets and don´t really make any progression. I am doing pull-ups for months. I am in shape, 6´2, and about 183 lbs and I feel like I´m having a wrong system. I started with the stretch series and make really good progression and was hoping to do the same with my pull-ups. 

Hi Victor, are you following the foundations work?

i have personally worked with them with many many of clients and the stronger of them after completing F4 was able to do around 35 pullups in a row.

Without improving the basic strength there is few possibilities...if not zero...to increase the pullup over the 10 reps.

Victor Kelling

Hi Alessandro,

Thanks for your reply.I started with the foundation 1, but then only proceeded with the stretch series (+ my own pull-ups before the stretch series)...will definitely go back to the fundamentals and keep pushing through then

But I still don´t get it tbh...because I am already able to do 10 slow pull-ups I thought I already have some basic strengths?

Alessandro Mainente
18 hours ago, Victor Kelling said:

Hi Alessandro,

Thanks for your reply.I started with the foundation 1, but then only proceeded with the stretch series (+ my own pull-ups before the stretch series)...will definitely go back to the fundamentals and keep pushing through then

But I still don´t get it tbh...because I am already able to do 10 slow pull-ups I thought I already have some basic strengths?

You could...but the fact is that now you are locked to 10 pullups. now you can add volume...sets...work on rest etc but if your body is not prepared for it simply your joint will tell you that...soon or after. i was at your same level (maybe something better) before meeting coach Sommer in person back in 2011..i have restarted from zero...no matter my level. this was the best choice.

Victor Kelling

Grazie mille Allessandro. So I will go back to the foundation as well then...I can´t really tell why I wasn´t really motivated in doing the foundations properly. I guess I wanted faster success in my strength and was always hoping I can skip the "basics"...I´m making good progressions with the stretching series and will hopefully do the same with my strength when I restart from zero as you did

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Victor Kelling

Hi Alessandro. Just an update- I´ve been following F1 instead of my own pull-up routine. Almost 3 weeks later I was just curious to test my PullUps and now I am only able to achieve 4 reps...disappointing tbh. Any advice or just continue and be patient?

Alessandro Mainente
18 minutes ago, Victor Kelling said:

Hi Alessandro. Just an update- I´ve been following F1 instead of my own pull-up routine. Almost 3 weeks later I was just curious to test my PullUps and now I am only able to achieve 4 reps...disappointing tbh. Any advice or just continue and be patient?

be patience. it is not a matter of being able to do what you were able to do before.....but, in the future, being able to manage much more work than before.

is different.