Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Elevated bridge

Ali Hmeid

Hi GB community,

I have been practicing the thoracic bridge series for one month. I am struggling at the elevated bridge hold on the stall bar.

I feel it so hard to elevate my upper back even when my legs are on the floor, it is much harder when i put my legs on the stall bar, I saw the decription video with the scaling but it doesn’t help.

I do have a poor shoulder flexion and tight traps and I am working on it.

I would like to understand why I can’t elevate myself, is it mobility related or strenght related ( I can hold handstand...) ?  

Alessandro Mainente
10 hours ago, Ali Hmeid said:

Hi GB community,

I have been practicing the thoracic bridge series for one month. I am struggling at the elevated bridge hold on the stall bar.

I feel it so hard to elevate my upper back even when my legs are on the floor, it is much harder when i put my legs on the stall bar, I saw the decription video with the scaling but it doesn’t help.

I do have a poor shoulder flexion and tight traps and I am working on it.

I would like to understand why I can’t elevate myself, is it mobility related or strenght related ( I can hold handstand...) ?  

Hi Ali, the problem is simple.

As you move the feet on the stall bar you are increasing the vertical component of weight and the exercise is more similar to a handstand pushup that requires much strength. possible solutions are:

1-lifting with feet on the floor and then walk up into the stall bar or

2-lift with feet on the floor and use your head as support...then walk upon the stall bar and finish the last part of the pushup from the headstand position or

3-use a wider stance of the hands in order to push up and then move them one closer to the other.

Frank Santasiero

If you have access to a spotter they can put their hands under your shoulders and help you get up in the position. Just don’t come crashing back down on your head.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for thé tip, I am experiencing notable progress in my thoracic mobility.

I understand that shoulder’s flexion is essential but I was wondering why shoulder’s extension is related to the thoracic bridge ?

Ali 

Coach Sommer
6 hours ago, Ali Hmeid said:

I understand that shoulder’s flexion is essential but I was wondering why shoulder’s extension is related to the thoracic bridge ? 

For healthy joints and optimal range of motion it is important to train both sides of a joint.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

• Like 3