Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Elbow and Wrist Pain

Armaan Sikand

Armaan Sikand

Hi,

I've been doing GST for over a year and have loved it. It's completely changed my approach to training and feel much more flexible and stronger.

Over the last few months, I've been experiencing some pain in my wrist (pain in the wrist when I press down with my palm flat) during bridge work (old injury in my right wrist that has flared up) and stopped that to give it some time to heal. More recently, my elbow on the same arm has started hurting (on the outside of the elbow by the ulna) as well when I go into a handstand or seal stretch (basically any position that locks the elbow). I took this to be a sign of over training and have stopped all upper body workouts/stretches for the last two weeks and plan to keep resting it. 

I have a doctor's appointment (with an orthopedist) for it two weeks from now, but wanted to know if anyone had experience with a similar injury and:

• Are they any steps / stretches / treatments that could help with the healing process?
  • Are there any exercises that I can still do for my upper body while the elbow / wrist recovers?

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Armaan, at the moment the only one thing i can suggest is doing everything that does not cause pain. until the doctor says something more try to avoid painful work. Unfortunately, the diagnosis via web and followings suggestion can make the situation even worse.

• 2 months later...
Armaan Sikand

Hi Alessandro,

Hope you're well! Got properly diagnosed a few months ago. Turns out I got tennis and golfer's elbow in my right elbow a ganglion cyst in my right wrist. I took a break and prioritized working on the lower body and core for the last few months.

After a few months of rest, my doctor cleared me to get back to working out my upper body with two restrictions - avoiding any exercises that cause pain and no full wrist flexion and extension (i.e., can't press my had down to the floor and do, for example, a one armed plank).

Keeping those in mind - any advice on how to get started again? (should I reset all the way to the start of the program?) Or do you have any advice / experience with other folks who went through something similar and how they got back into the program?

Alessandro Mainente
6 hours ago, Armaan Sikand said:

Hi Alessandro,

Hope you're well! Got properly diagnosed a few months ago. Turns out I got tennis and golfer's elbow in my right elbow a ganglion cyst in my right wrist. I took a break and prioritized working on the lower body and core for the last few months.

After a few months of rest, my doctor cleared me to get back to working out my upper body with two restrictions - avoiding any exercises that cause pain and no full wrist flexion and extension (i.e., can't press my had down to the floor and do, for example, a one armed plank).

Keeping those in mind - any advice on how to get started again? (should I reset all the way to the start of the program?) Or do you have any advice / experience with other folks who went through something similar and how they got back into the program?

HI Armaan the first problem is: did you solve the problem completely? did you have a  rehab protocol? this is by far much more important now. because after long rest some muscles get weaker and inflexible. and their previous state of conditioning must be specifically restored.

• 2 weeks later...
Armaan Sikand

Hi Alessandro,

To answer your questions:

1. Don't think the problem is completely solved. The elbow and wrist are still sensitive in certain positions so I avoid those completely per the doctor's advice
  2. Rehab Protocol - I did not have a full rehab protocol besides starting at my old exercises recently, but with really low reps. I maintained my mobility drills throughout so hopefully didn't sacrifice too much there
    • Is there anything particular you recommend? Or resources you can point me too? I'm unable to see a PT right now because of COVID lockdowns, but can do so in a bit if you think that's the right direction

Thanks for the help!

Alessandro Mainente
11 hours ago, Armaan Sikand said:

Hi Alessandro,

To answer your questions:

1. Don't think the problem is completely solved. The elbow and wrist are still sensitive in certain positions so I avoid those completely per the doctor's advice
  2. Rehab Protocol - I did not have a full rehab protocol besides starting at my old exercises recently, but with really low reps. I maintained my mobility drills throughout so hopefully didn't sacrifice too much there
    • Is there anything particular you recommend? Or resources you can point me too? I'm unable to see a PT right now because of COVID lockdowns, but can do so in a bit if you think that's the right direction

Thanks for the help!

Well...if the injury is not solved probably the wrists will get worse again...

• 3 weeks later...
James Strack

I have use handmaster plus for my tennis elbow when it flares up.  I can't guarantee that it works for outter elbow pain though mine is on the inside.  From what I read, elbow pain is often caused by muscle inbalance, so using the handmaster plus balances my extensors and flexors to fix the inflammation.

Here's the website if it is useful for you.

https://www.handmasterplus.com/

Alessandro Mainente

It can help, usually, tennis elbows are a problem that occurs when extensors are too weak and they act strongyl in an eccentric exercise like the elbows stroking movement of the tennis racket.