Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Low Back Issue

Paul Zagaria

I went through the 3 week intro program and have been at Level 1 for the last several weeks.  Have followed the schedule religiously and really enjoy the workouts.  My only issue is I am experiencing low back weakness,  no real pain though.

I have (or so I thought until this program) a well rounded background, from Olympic lifting, power lifting, running, bodyweight training, swimming, MMA, etc...  I do have diagnosed lumbar issues, but through stretching/therapy treatments, I have learned to resolve any low back issues on my own.  Wondering if anyone experienced the same thing when beginning these workouts.  I have been able to deadlift and squat with minor issues for years, but could I be experiencing this issue because of a never addressed imbalance (plus I'm in my 50s) as well?

Hi Paul,

Weakness rather than pain is a good sign.  On browsing over your athletic endeavors what I primarily see is a focus on strengthening back extension.  My suspicion is that you are currently weak during back flexion.  In essence you only trained one side of your spine.

Continue training as you are being sensitive to never train through pain.  Give the body time to adapt.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

Thank you sir, makes complete sense.  With my age and surgeries, I'm happy to be able to just somewhat achieve most of the positions in the exercises.  I have seen excellent improvement in just these 8 weeks and will continue.  Seeing our 10 yr old daughter progress through her gymnastics programs makes me wish I did this years ago...