Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

question starting out with shoulder pain

Pascal Poirier

Pascal Poirier

Hello everybody,

I am new here and just bought the yearly subscription.

first off, I want to apologize in advance for the spelling and writing error, because English is not my first language.

Here's a little background

I am 30years old and always have been an active person. I started training when I was about 15 years old doing mostly push-up and chin-up in conjuction with player soccer and doing karate on and off. At 17years old I started lifting weight. At about 20 years old, I started doing Muay thai and Brazilian Jiujitsu full time while working a desk job and still weight training 3 days a week. 2 years later, I stopped practicing martial art because my shoulders always hurted and i was tired of being in pain everyday. I continued weight training on and off until this day but had always needed to stop training  my pressing movement from time to time because of shoulder pain.  From 25 to 28 years old I have been very serious in the obstacle course racing sport and had some podium finish until I hurt my left adductor wich still give me pain if I squeeze my legs together, squat heavy or lunges in a deep hip flexion.

I have been trying to fix my shoulders pain for the past 8years by myself and tried many different physical therapists, osteopath, chiropractors and massage therapist without much success.

I have been working as Security guard in a High security psychiatric hospital for the last 8 year and need to stay strong and fit for my job.

I am 5 feet 8 inches tall and weigh 165 pounds.

My ''high'' level sport objectives are behind me. My main objective would be to cure my pain and be able to practice whatever physical activities I want to.

I did a couple of the fundamental video and did the ''restore shoulder''. I think my focus should be about fixing my poor shoulder mobility, but I dont see how  2 or 3 exercise for the shoulders, practiced only 1 or 2 times each week is barely enough to add significant gains in shoulder mobility. Even with the added ''restore shoulder'', how can exercises holded for 5 or 10sec be sufficient to improve.   Am I missing something.

I would like to know ''classes'' recommandations and/or programming advice.

Any input, tips, and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Pascal

Alessandro Mainente

11 hours ago, Pascal Poirier said:

Hello everybody,

I am new here and just bought the yearly subscription.

first off, I want to apologize in advance for the spelling and writing error, because English is not my first language.

Here's a little background

I am 30years old and always have been an active person. I started training when I was about 15 years old doing mostly push-up and chin-up in conjuction with player soccer and doing karate on and off. At 17years old I started lifting weight. At about 20 years old, I started doing Muay thai and Brazilian Jiujitsu full time while working a desk job and still weight training 3 days a week. 2 years later, I stopped practicing martial art because my shoulders always hurted and i was tired of being in pain everyday. I continued weight training on and off until this day but had always needed to stop training  my pressing movement from time to time because of shoulder pain.  From 25 to 28 years old I have been very serious in the obstacle course racing sport and had some podium finish until I hurt my left adductor wich still give me pain if I squeeze my legs together, squat heavy or lunges in a deep hip flexion.

I have been trying to fix my shoulders pain for the past 8years by myself and tried many different physical therapists, osteopath, chiropractors and massage therapist without much success.

I have been working as Security guard in a High security psychiatric hospital for the last 8 year and need to stay strong and fit for my job.

I am 5 feet 8 inches tall and weigh 165 pounds.

My ''high'' level sport objectives are behind me. My main objective would be to cure my pain and be able to practice whatever physical activities I want to.

I did a couple of the fundamental video and did the ''restore shoulder''. I think my focus should be about fixing my poor shoulder mobility, but I dont see how  2 or 3 exercise for the shoulders, practiced only 1 or 2 times each week is barely enough to add significant gains in shoulder mobility. Even with the added ''restore shoulder'', how can exercises holded for 5 or 10sec be sufficient to improve.   Am I missing something.

I would like to know ''classes'' recommandations and/or programming advice.

Any input, tips, and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Pascal

Hi Pascal, well the situation is pretty clear, you have no idea about the shoulder problem. i think that this is the time to understand the problem...

Actually the solution is taking an MRI or at least a visit with an orthopedic.

meanwhile, my personal suggestion is working around the problem avoiding everything that can cause pain.

I cannot say something more simply because without additional information about your injury I can potentially make the situation worse.

You said " I have been trying to fix my shoulders pain for the past 8years by myself and tried many different physical therapists, osteopath, chiropractors and massage therapist without much success."

Any of these people COULD treat you if they knew what to look for. However, it is the activities that you then choose to do that can either assist the treatment or cancel the treatment effects.

How much shoulder anatomy and physiology do you know? Self-knowledge can help you identify where a problem could be.

How much mobility work did you do, or do you do now?

Have you ever been assessed by someone who is trained to look for problems with movement? (Feldenkrais, Alexander technique, or a dance teacher)

No-one can suggest "a treatment" without much more information, but if you see another PT, physio, etc, try to find someone who works with gymnasts or circus performers.

This is a guess, but your activities were mostly "in front of you", so as another guess, posterior shoulder, lower/middle trapezius and probably the entire rotator cuff is not able to cope with the "activities in front of you".

If you can find one or two good therapists (physio, massage, whatever) stick with them for at least a month or two. As another guess I think the issues with your shoulders will take a while to identify and then to fix. So you will need to be patient.

Pascal Poirier

Hi all and thank you for taking the time to answer me.

From what made sense from the physical therapist I saw, and It is obvious now, is that my chest and lats are tight. I have very poor shoulder extension, my internal rotation was very bad but is now way better, but even If i stretch my chest everyday with the door way stretch I dont feel a lot of stretching happening. I tried this stretch in conjunction with a lat stretch everyday and it didnt really improve, my shoulders are still rolled forward. A lot of physical therapist told me to strengthen my external rotator with a small dumbell lying on my side with my arms at 90 degrees. All of this without musch success.

Another thing me and the physical notice is that my upper traps were over active, trying to do every movement. I couldnt hang from a bar without feeling a lot of pain in the shoulders and traps, but one of the physical therapist told me to do contract relax of the lat while hanging and now I can hang a bunch of different way without feeling my traps taking over or feeling pain.

I still workout and stay out of pain.

I registered here to improve my upperbody mobility, especially my lats, chest and improve my shoulders ROM in every direction so they can move freely as they were designed to move. But, I found that the week one and 2 of the fundamental videos were really not enough to improve at all. So my question was to know what video series should I do.  Is there a special video series for the upperbody that I could do to improve my shoulders ROM that would be better than 10sec stretch ?   

Thank you, and again, I am sorry for my english...

Pascal

Alessandro Mainente
9 hours ago, Pascal Poirier said:

Hi all and thank you for taking the time to answer me.

From what made sense from the physical therapist I saw, and It is obvious now, is that my chest and lats are tight. I have very poor shoulder extension, my internal rotation was very bad but is now way better, but even If i stretch my chest everyday with the door way stretch I dont feel a lot of stretching happening. I tried this stretch in conjunction with a lat stretch everyday and it didnt really improve, my shoulders are still rolled forward. A lot of physical therapist told me to strengthen my external rotator with a small dumbell lying on my side with my arms at 90 degrees. All of this without musch success.

Another thing me and the physical notice is that my upper traps were over active, trying to do every movement. I couldnt hang from a bar without feeling a lot of pain in the shoulders and traps, but one of the physical therapist told me to do contract relax of the lat while hanging and now I can hang a bunch of different way without feeling my traps taking over or feeling pain.

I still workout and stay out of pain.

I registered here to improve my upperbody mobility, especially my lats, chest and improve my shoulders ROM in every direction so they can move freely as they were designed to move. But, I found that the week one and 2 of the fundamental videos were really not enough to improve at all. So my question was to know what video series should I do.  Is there a special video series for the upperbody that I could do to improve my shoulders ROM that would be better than 10sec stretch ?   

Thank you, and again, I am sorry for my english...

Pascal

Hey Pascal do not misunderstand me....it is not a problem of not helping you, i am here exactly for this BUT you are experiencing pain on the shoulders and i can not take responsibility for possibly making the situation even worse. pain has always an origin. 

PT should be able to understand it and PT should give you instruments to solve it. if PT does not give you tools then change PT, if the problem still persist is necessary a deeper investigation.

• Upvote 1