Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How can I do some strength and mobility work everyday without over doing it?

Conner Cowling

Conner Cowling

How can I do some strength and mobility work everyday without over doing it?

I'd like a program where I do some strength and/or mobility work everyday. I have a history of burning myself out by committing to an intense schedule, and am trying to out grow that habit.  One of the things that drew me to GB and Sommers was his idea of consistency over intensity; developing both strength and mobility to heal your body, avoid injury, and optimize your long-term success.  So how do I do this best?

In other words, how should one think about recovery when programming across these course... across strength and mobility... across the full body? Where I also have some limited weighted routines along side and some semi-competitive soccer?

For example, some of these courses (longer mobility routine like Stretch Front Split) Coach Sommers says explicitly they should be done once a week and doing them more than that is going backward.  Other, less-intense, courses, like the Restore Hips, say to do once per week – but seems more like a suggestion than a hard rule.

When it comes to strength, it's common to have a weighted split that supports 8-12 sets per muscle group per week with at least 24-48 hours recovery between muscle group workouts. But I'm not sure how to fit this into the GB routines.

Perhaps there is some feature within the app I'm missing.

FWIW: My personal priorities (in order): long-term health, strength + mobility, performance in semi-casual competitions (e.g. soccer).

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Conner, as you said when you have tried to adjust by yourself your training...you have finished with burning up your central nervous system.

I have build up my body in the last 10 years only by following coach Sommer suggestions so stay with them. the only exception can be done if you have a high-level knowledge on sports science, physiology etc. if not do not worry about what Coach Sommer has already done for you.

Keep in mind that merging programs of GB with other goals (ex. soccer) it is not easy. for sure the hips mobility should be a primary goal for you due to the enormous stress on the knees, then i would look for core strength and then for legs strength.

The ability to recover faster, having stronger tendon and strong muscles requires times....how much? this is something i do not know specifically for your case because depends on many factors...genetic comprised. the field is complex and requires much more than a couple of words, maybe it can require 100000 words...maybe. simply follow the program week over week and at the end of the journey, you will have a clear vision of HOW things happen.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 8 months later...

Sorry for bringing up old post but holy batman you have done the program for 11 years now?  @alessandro mainente

Do you happen to have photos over the years showing your physical improvement?  I know you have YouTube channel but hard to follow as I only speak English. 

Edited by James Strack

Alessandro Mainente
7 hours ago, James Strack said:

Sorry for bringing up old post but holy batman you have done the program for 11 years now?  @alessandro mainente

Do you happen to have photos over the years showing your physical improvement?  I know you have YouTube channel but hard to follow as I only speak English. 

I started GB before it had seminars around the world. in the first period something like around late 2008 and I bought the book of Coach Sommer in early 2010. meanwhile, i have followed the workout of the day that he proposed 4 times a week at the beginning before understanding that the system was too advanced for the average. in 2011 i did my first seminar (and many other up to 2018) and here i have discovered the foundation's program..my lack of mobility and that my general physical preparation sucks. so basically i started with foundations in 2011 (programs were not yet released). i did not pay too much attention to diet... I'm sincere... I gained weight but for sure an impressive amount of strength and myofibrillar hypertrophy...at the point where i was something like 88 kg and i was for sure overweight. something like fall 2018 i have decided to change and see what GB produced in my physique...so i used GB movement structured in a body recomposition program (followed by a trainer specialized with that) and you can see below what there was UNDER  the skin. notice for sure that GB built up very strong shoulder and arms but for sure due to GST posture, the chest was a bit underdeveloped.  of course, people say that simply i was weighting like a feather...on the opposite on the left I'm 73 kg and I'm 1,70 mt height. 

change.jpg

At the moment i did an offseason where i have tried to build up some muscle mass still translating the aesthetics programs with GST exercises ( it was not easy...but i have created a new system of work that I'm using with my trainer to produce body recomposition for the people) and it worked again...no i weight 3.5 kg more than 2019 with the same body fat.

• Like 4

Wow great job!  I am taking your advice and increasing my protein input to try not to lose so much muscle as I lose weight myself.