Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hips very tight

Ricky Ward

I’ve been using the program for 12 weeks now. I completed the 8 weeks of intro and now I’m about 4 weeks into level 1. I’ve made progress in some areas but my pancake sucks and when performing a diamond frog or any frog variation it is brutal. I’m so stiff in the hips especially on my left side. I’m not sure if it’s just hip flexors or abductors or some type of impingement. It’s definitely uncomfortable when I’m in a frog. I feel like I’m not progressing in this area. Is it normal to have little to no progress in the hips for a while?  I’m trying to stay patient but it’s  really frustrating. Also is there an alternative to the pancake roll through because I honestly can’t really do it. Or should I use more yoga blocks and just roll through into a prone position and then restart. 

Alessandro Mainente

9 hours ago, Ricky Ward said:

I’ve been using the program for 12 weeks now. I completed the 8 weeks of intro and now I’m about 4 weeks into level 1. I’ve made progress in some areas but my pancake sucks and when performing a diamond frog or any frog variation it is brutal. I’m so stiff in the hips especially on my left side. I’m not sure if it’s just hip flexors or abductors or some type of impingement. It’s definitely uncomfortable when I’m in a frog. I feel like I’m not progressing in this area. Is it normal to have little to no progress in the hips for a while?  I’m trying to stay patient but it’s  really frustrating. Also is there an alternative to the pancake roll through because I honestly can’t really do it. Or should I use more yoga blocks and just roll through into a prone position and then restart. 

Hey Ricky, if you access to the library (from the top right corner, click on the dumbell icon and select course library) you can see the list of the exercise of a course and also a scaled version. being limited in a range of motion especially at the hips is pretty common. i used some stretch pose of the stretch course in the last 6 years and not i can do weighted squat ass to the grass...6 years. so do not underestimate your progress...feeling locked is normal. the sensation of impingement that you are feeling is probably the joint capsule...the highest part of the joint.

I am using the generic program prescribed when I started level 1.  I did add most of the rehab series to a few of my days because I have deficits in just about every movement. The generic program doesn’t have the thoracic stretch series in it. Should I add that or am I doing something wrong? Also does the program automatically progress to level 2 or do I need to manually do that. If so how will I know when I’m ready to do that?

Alessandro Mainente

You can set up the thoracic bridge course and see if you can train it (check also the scaled variation in the "library" section), if you see that the biggest part of the exercises is impossible then  go for Restore series.