Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stopping freestanding handstands advice

Christopher Bassett 264228

Hello

In regards to handstands, I have severe lack of shoulder mobility in that I cant even put my forearms flat against the wall in the wall angels exercise.

3 weeks ago I began work on fixing this and gaining that full and open shoulder mobility.

I can freestand handstand for sets of 20 to 30 secs currently but it's arched and the kick up is successful about 30% of the time which is frustrating :(

My question is should I go back to chest to wall handstands and build more strength and endurance with various exercises like shrugs, frog, tucks etc with better alignment while I work on fixing shoulders and stop freestanding? I am unsure if I will build bad habits that will impact me when my shoulders are fully open. 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Christopher, you have recognized by yourself that your shoulders lack of mobility. so this is the main problem. no matter the wall handstand or any type of external aid or external cue, if you cannot deload you weight over the shoulders down to the hands there is no exercise suite for your handstand learning.

and if you progress doing bad handstand you will need months or maybe years to correct it.

20 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hey Christopher, you have recognized by yourself that your shoulders lack of mobility. so this is the main problem. no matter the wall handstand or any type of external aid or external cue, if you cannot deload you weight over the shoulders down to the hands there is no exercise suite for your handstand learning.

and if you progress doing bad handstand you will need months or maybe years to correct it.

Makes sense Alessandro, thank you for your advice