Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Capped Shoulders

Joaquin Malagon

Joaquin Malagon

I had just a random thought, why do gymnasts have exceptional lateral deltoid development when they don't perform much isolation work for the deltoids? "BW Shoulder workout" videos seem to overemphasize overhead pressing and leaving other movements that target the side and rear as not as important, but most overhead work strongly involves the anterior deltoid.

Good question.

All the swinging work on pommels, parallel bars, and high bar.  Mega doses of HSPU and pHS for many years.  Shoulder plyometric work with 7-10x bodyweight on rings and up to 14x bodyweight tumbling.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Joaquin Malagon

Thanks for the response, that is interesting but makes sense why these movements would hypertrophy the other parts of the shoulder. Why does the HSPU contribute to lateral deltoid development? From what I know, anterior deltoid is the primary deltoid head that is targeted with overhead pressing. 

When the elbows are tucked in to 45º rather than out to the sides, the lateral delts are hit quite strongly during free HSPU etc.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

Joaquin Malagon

I'm assuming the free HSPU is going to be different from the OHP in terms of lateral deltoid activity at the same angle. Thanks for the response!