Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handstand balance

Jason Wheal

Jason Wheal

How to stop falling on either side of handstand due to slight movements or imbalance in leg. I can’t hold my handstand due to slight leg movements, as my shoulders and elbow compensate for the imbalances created by leg or hip movements. What exercises or routine can i perform in order to keep my legs and hip area balanced?

Thank you!

Alessandro Mainente

HI Jason, legs and hips and torso should be fixed, no movement at all. in order to give you a correct suggestion i need to see your handstand from the side and from the front. a video is a better solution.

Jason Wheal
On 10/7/2019 at 2:44 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

HI Jason, legs and hips and torso should be fixed, no movement at all. in order to give you a correct suggestion i need to see your handstand from the side and from the front. a video is a better solution.

Stacked body, pointed toes, elevated scapula, straight line and other important points are always kept in mind when try to do a handstand. I do it against the fall few feets away. 

But it’s more about feeling, my torso, legs and hips are fixed but there is a feeling that my hips aren’t controlling the swaying movement of my legs even after tightening the glutes and after few moments I fall forward(on my back side). Hips sometimes feel incapable of holding the legs straight, and as the legs sway from fixed position, my hands try to compensate that by bending the elbow. 

Drawing chest in seems to stop the forward falling, but then I fall backward as the pressure shifts on lower abs and because I feel like my lower abs can’t hold that backward bending of the legs and i fall backward. 

Are there any exercises in gymnasticBodies handstand course that I can do to hold my body straight. And also are there specific exercises that I can do to recover from the bending of the legs from hip joint to prevent falling on either side? 

Thank you!

Edited by Jason Wheal

Alessandro Mainente

Excuse Me Jason, but i did not ask you more details about how you feel your handstand etc, i asked to see a video of your execution. I cannot give you options if your problem of balance is due to other causes and the loss of balance is a natural consequence.