Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kids training

Kitty Godolphin

Kitty Godolphin

Hi everyone, 

This is a little off topic but I would love advice from trainers who work with kids. I started the program 2 months ago and working through it consistently. It’s great and my 6 yr old has been watching me do it. It’s inspired him to ask to learn gymnastics. I live in Germany and wanted some advice on two introduction classes I took him to. First class they said (in front of him) that he was not strong or flexible enough to join the class. His confidence took a bruising but we realised this was some national future Olympic training club, probably not where we should have been. But still it was his first class and they expected him to do an Lsit and strict PU at go. The second class we attended was better but a lot of shouting and rough shaming talk with the competition kids. Then the middle split stretching at the end involved some brutal adjustments - kids were bawling. 

Is this what gymnastics training for kids still is like? Seems very harsh but perhaps I need to adjust my expectations. I understand you have to work hard to grow but this seems forceful and outdated. 

Q1 - My boy is completely scared to go back. I was thinking if I can’t find a better class then do this program (foundation) with him at home. Any advice if this is appropriate? 

Q2 - My son is mixed ethnicity (Afro Caribbean and White European) as am I. All my life I have been told the shape of my feet are not right for ballet, my lumbar curve is wrong for yoga etc. I am well aware of the ‘ideal shape’ for certain sports but it’s not something I support. So again yesterday I was told that my son (who has an obvious lumbar curve) was the ‘wrong shape’ for gymnastics so he would have to work to correct it. The teacher said that the bones in the spine are all the same in all races but African people have larger glutes and this makes the curve more pronounced. I don’t know about all that but it seems like bs to me and this type of view point seems unintelligent . Any perspectives? 

Thank you. 

Edited by Kitty Godolphin

“... African people have larger glutes and this makes the curve more pronounced ...” - Idiots.

I have no use for such clubs; bullies, plain and simple.  Often the approach demonstrated by this club shows an inability to develop athletes from scratch. The wide spread shaming is also a major red flag; shows coaches that are frustrated and over their head technically.  Move on and look for a more appropriate training situation.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

• Like 2

Kitty Godolphin

Dear Coach Sommer,

Thank you for a reassuring response and clearing things up for me despite it being not directly related to the program. Huge help. And also thank you for such a fantastic program. I’m enjoying all aspects and working hard at it. 

With gratitude. 

Kitty